• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

apparent

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a 75g reef ready tank and I will need to build a sump for it, anyone got a link or some advice on how to go about doing this? Thanks

Syris

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO you maybe better off with a used 20g or 29g glass aquarium if you plan on using a submerged return pump like a Mag (that way you dont have to drill the galss) Thats the way I went on the same type tank plus I got the 29g from a lfs that was selling its older holding tanks for $15
Then just cut some 1/4" acrylic for baffles and silicone them in place.

If you want more of a visual try my website to see what I did

HTH

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sumps are nothing more then a body of water used to house equipment. So think of what equpiment you'd like to employ, and design the sump around it. Usually, not much is required except a container that holds water, some room for in-sump equipment (like skimmers, heater, probes) and a few baffles to prevent air bubbles from going back into the tank. We can help you along here if you have questions.

I prefer using acrylic sumps because I can drill holes as I see fit. However, you're planning on using submersible pumps and do not need any special holes, then a rubbermaid or glass tank will do fine. You can drill holes in rubbermaid-type sumps, but the structure is a bit more flimsy, and it's harder to build appropriate baffles for these containers since the walls aren't at right angles. For this reason, I prefer acrylic or glass sumps.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 30 long that has a hole drilled in it for a 1" bulkhead. And what-do-you-know. I have baffles too.

It was going to be my sump on my 100 gallon. But the tank became a goldfish tank. so the sump has sat empty for a year.

If you're close to NYC, I'd sell it to you cheap.

B

chart

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have any pics of that 30 gal tank? i'm in the same situation with a 75 gal reef ready that i plan on using a 30 gal as a sump/refugium. i'm looking for some ideas...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: