• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

agiacosa

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fergy,

You mentioned that if the power went out (and you didn't have a solenoid), CO2 would accumulate in the reactor tube. Once the power came back, the CO2 bubble would be pushed into the sump.

Alternatively, if you set the effluent rate too slow and the CO2 input too high, you may end up pressurizing the reactor too much. Again, CO2 would build up in the reactor tube. I'm guessing at the top of the reactor tube.

Would it be possible to place a check valve into the top that would vent the CO2 buildup but not let water escape. This way, CO2 would be vented out of the reactor to avoid over pressurization?

Thanks.

Art

fergy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need this, because the outlet of the reactor is at the top of the reactor body. The gas will vent out there, so it doesn't really become an issue. Also, the outlet hose from the reactor should be above the water line in the sump, so the CO2 doesn't really enter your sump water. It should just off-gas as it leaves the hose.

In general, the gas that accumulates in the CO2 input side of the bubble counter isn't too much of an issue when the power goes out. I was just covering all my bases when I said that. I've never had an issue. If the power is going to be out for several hours, this probably is the least of your worries, and you'll be checking things out, so you can always shut off the CO2 flow.

It's hard to make a gas valve that won't leak water as well. It's just really not worth the extra expense, IMO.

BRIAN

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: