• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

tld

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm building an external overflow for a friend. (For whatever reason, he does not want to drill his tank.) I'm looking for suggestions as to how to glue the internal baffle in the outer box of the overflow.

The first seam will be easy. The second and last seams will be harder because my space will be limited - particularly on the last seam because I'll have to put my hand down in the box to reach the seam (and honestly I'm not very good with Weldon #4 yet). I'm concerned about dripping glue all over the inside of the box. I guess I could silicone the seams, but it won't look as nice.

This is my plan:
Lap sand the edges of the 2 side pieces and the internal baffle.
Glue to front of box. Let cure.
Flip over and glue to back of box. Do the baffle first so if I bump the box with my clumsy hands, it will only affect one seam.
Flush Trim and lap sand bottom edges.
Glue bottom. Again, do baffle first for same reason as above.
Flush trim and round over edges. Probably polish too.

If anyone has any suggestions for glueing the baffle, I would appreciate it.

Teresa

fergy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This project would fall under the "design" phase...

You're thinking about how to make the box incorrectly...the sides and the inside baffles can all be the same width. Attach them to the front plate first, then attach the back plate to that assembly, then trim off the excess from the front and back plates. If you use the pin gap method, and very carefully apply the cement where the inside baffle meets the edges, the cement will wick all the way through the seam. Try using slightly larger pins to allow more gap, so the solvent doesn't seal the edge of the gap near you first.

tld

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking - I guess I just didn't express myself clearly. I think the pin gap method will do the trick - I was mainly concerned about putting my hands down in the box to apply the Weldon and possibly bumping the box and ruining the seams. Thanks for the help!
Teresa

mattboy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Teresa;

I think i understand what you mean; you're concerned about the tight space getting weldon under the baffle when you're gluing the final piece of the box. I might suggest you find a smaller applicator bottle; I know the local plastic supply store here has them. This would give you a bit more room in the box. What you really need is a long needle; good luck on that.

Matt

fergy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And what I was saying is that, if you set it up right, you don't have to glue from inside the box...you can wick the solvent all the way to across the inside, if you can get to that seam from the outside of the box. Make sense?

BRIAN

mattboy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't get it. You have 3 parallel walls right? How do you get to the one in the middle? Just apply solvent near the top or bottom and have it flow all the way along the center wall? I guess that must be what you're suggesting. In that case, you'd be using pins on the outside walls, but not the center one, right?

Matt

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: