• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

montec24

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I am in the planning stages of a DIY canopy. I know what I want as far as lighting (2 175 W MH, 2 VHO) I am trying to save as much money as I can. My biggest question is what ballasts should I use? Electronic or Magnetic? What brand? ETc. Etc. ?These seem like they can be the biggest cost and probably the most important component. I can get Icecap ballasts for $149.95 each, an aro electronic for $119, 17w universal for $49. I am not sure what the best to get is. I don't necessarily need a state of the art system but I want to make something that will work well for a long period of time. I am a carpenter and have an electrician at my disposal so I am not to concerned about putting it together just want to make sure I get the right parts. I will take any and all suggestions and comments. Thanks in advance for your help.

Dana

55g, (48 18, 12)
55#live rock
4 1/2" DSB

texasreefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the VHO I would use a Workhorse 7 ballast. It is a lot cheaper than a Ice Cap. It comes w/ a 5 year warranty and will run 220W total. Go to the Fulham website for a list of local dealers to order trhe ballast from. For the MH I would get a regular tar ballast. You can buy the ballast for about $40 each and a box big enough for two for about $15. Here is a link where you can order them from. http://www.1000bulbs.com/shopping/shopdisplaysubcat.asp?id=18&cat=Ballasts

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: