• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Joey French

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found a site which gives a fairly good explanation and pics of a good looking and (hopefully) effective skimmer for my next project. If a skimmer expert could take a look at this site-
http://bluechunks.net/reef/skimmer2/
and let me know what they think of the design, it would be greatly appreciated. This is not my site or plans- I have found this site while researching diy projects, and appreciate the description from the builder. I have the equipment and the workspace available to build it, just haven't ever built a beckett skimmer. I know the modification that I would make to the plan is to use 1" pvc after the injectors, instead of the 3/4" this project uses. Also, if you don't think that this is a sound project, or could give a more efficient example, please, I do need the advice. I have been researching dual beckett skimmers for some time and would really like to get one done for my new tank, but don't want to make a costly mistake. Thanks to all!
Joey

dgasmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an awesome design with some major flaws in my view that defeated the purpose. First off, I would make the riser chamber 8", then, make the pvc after the injector 1" as you pointed out, then make the raiser tube 60" tall. I would run it with an iwaki 100 split to 2. I wouls also split each of the returns to the mixing chamber into 2 to make it a total of 4. That should really run an extremely packed and populated 1200 gal system!!!

Joey French

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa...this was for a 180 :roll:. If I were to make the changes to the design, you suggest a 8" riser tube and 60" tall? That is a big leap, as I still want it to fit under my stand! Thanks for the input. Anyone else?

dgasmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is for a 180, then the 2 beckets is an unnecessary and wastted overkill. Asingle with a pressure rated pump should be more than plenty. :lol:

Joey French

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh, oh... well, I already have the box built and cut for everything....Anyone see any reason why I can't run the dual on the 180? Bad idea?
Joey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think it is a fine skimmer and am somewhat jealous of it.

if it is overkill then don't run it all the time. it would probably be nice not to have all that racket all the time, eh?

dgasmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if you started, then by all means finish it. What I meant by overkill is that you'll notice no more skimmate from one vs two beckets.

68fj40

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also in the middle of building a beckett skimmer using the same as a guide. I have a question as to the bow construction.

It appears to have a baffle or supprt piece running to the side or the riser hole. Is this a baffle or just support?

Is a baffle neccesary in the style of build?

Reef55

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
odd question... i've looked at a lot of skimmers and plans for ones... one of the common items is the drain hose for the skimmate. Why not put the collection chamber crooked? By this I mean have the hole for the collection chamber off center, in fact as close to a side of the collection chamber as possible. Then have the bottom of the collection chamber slanted down away from the side the riser comes up from. At the lowest point, put the drain hose. This way your skimmate always flow down to that point and out the drain :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: