• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Pamela

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to tear down my 75 gal. for personal reasons. Before I set it back up again sometime in the future, I would like to have it drilled and install an internal o.f. w/Durso standpipe. I was using a cpr hang on.

All of the examples I've seen of the Durso were with tanks drilled through the bottom. Since I cant have the bottom of my tank drilled, I'll have to drill the back glass near the bottom.

My question, If I build a Durso standpipe and use an elbow at the bottom will it still perform ok?

the Wizard

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything else one should look for when doing this mod? For instance, should the drilled hole be near the bottom or just a few inches below the top? Should the standpipe go into a box, or just be free standing?

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked Durso's website? http://www.rl180reef.com/

After entering his website, wait (patiently) for the menu to display. Once it does, click on Hardware Used, then click on Sump Configurations, then in the upper-right hand side of the screen click on Durso Standpipe. There's 5 different ways of implementation shown along with various airhole modifications and strainer modifications to the original design.

Shane

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, I've done it with my a nano reef that I had a few years ago without any problems.

Pamela

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked out Rich's web site a while back to get the info to build the pipe.
he suggests using 1.25"or 1.5" pipe for a 1" bulkhead for proper flow.
assuming you have a straight drop out the bottom of the tank.

I'm wondering if using an elbow at the bottom of the standpipe to exit the back glass will cause flow restiction? causing noise,gurgling,etc...

the Wizard

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...I'm sure it'll have some, probably small, impact on flow. I'm just trying to see if there's any reason to go that low? Or just a few inches down?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: