• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

stevearthur

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just called the manufacture about my free 28 gallon bow front tank(TopFin) and I found out that it is tempered glass. Should I just go our and buy a new tank or should I just do a overflow with a syphion? I had planned on adding bulkheads but from what I have heard, you can't drill tempered glass. I really don't want to buy a new tank because I bought my lighting for a tank length of 24" and that means I would have to drop down to a 20H tank. Any suggestions! I am planning to stop buy the LFS to ask for advice on my way back home from teaching.

Darn it!!

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, you cannot drill tempered glass. It's pressure treated and any drilling, chipping will shatter them into pieces. Call them again, and ask if they can modify it and put a internal overflow box into the tank? Sometimes tanks are made with tempered glass on the 4 sides, but not the bottom plate. If the bottom plate can be drilled, then you will just have to glue a top-slotted internal overflow box around the plumbing.

Otherwise, the last resort is the hangon overflow.

stevearthur

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, the whole dam thing is tempered. I will have to do a siphon skimmer/overflow. I am also planning on two maxi-jet 900's on a wavemaker. All this with a 20 gallon fuge down below.

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stevearthur":2kb2z3ji said:
I really don't want to buy a new tank because I bought my lighting for a tank length of 24" and that means I would have to drop down to a 20H tank.

FWIW, AGA makes a 26 gallon bowfront that is also 24" long. Not sure, but I think only the bottom of the AGA is tempered so it could probably be drilled in the back. You could contact them to confirm.

http://www.all-glass.com/

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: