• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

agiacosa

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fergy,

I'm sure you're swamped as usual, but are there any items you can quickly list that we would need for the skimmer course?

Maybe I should just wait for the list to be put out.

Regards,

Art (wanting to use his new skills)

Kabob

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess we're the only ones since no one else has replied. I would like to here what other project people have in mind form the first course. here are mine.

I am wanting to build a 10-15 gallon Nano tank that has a built in overflow and skimmer. The skimmer type I would like to emulate is a Turbofloater/Euroreef pinwheel style.

I am also going to be building a sump for our new 120 system that is in the works.

Jason

Modo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm definately pumped about the skimmer course. I was already in the planning phase of doing a beckett (had sketches, found a local beckett source, etc..) and now this course couldn't come at a better time.

A couple of other things I plan on doing....
1. Above Tank Refugium
2. Rotifer/Phyto grow station
3. A long "river type" tank with a closed loop that pulls from one end and pushes from the other.

I know that 3rd is kinda weird, but I fly fish and Trout really interest me. There is a hatchery near here that raises different Trout and I've seen little Tiny ones that I think would be fun to raise. :roll: I'm sure this will never happen, but it would be fun to design.

mattboy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just finished a sump/refugium that I'm happy with. I'm also thinking of building 2 skimmers; the one for the course and a smaller one (4" tube) for smaller systems. Right now on the market there seems to be either large beckett or downdraft skimmers suitable for systems larger than 100 gallons, and the little guys like remora/urchin/prizm etc. that are driven by powerheads. These skimmers don't work well for anything but the smallest systems, IMHO. I have an urchin, which costs $160 (not cheap!) for my 45 gallon reef with 3 fish, and it's barely adequate, maybe. So what's out there that's right for 55-75-90 gallon systems? Not much. I'd like to make something that will work well with a 500pgh pump, not take up much room, and really be effective for these mid-size systems.

Matt

agiacosa

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to take a shot at building an algae turf scrubber, a Nilsen reactor, and a couple of skimmers. That's all I can think of right now but I'm sure I'll dream up something else.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: