• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Hello,

Here is a pic of One of my two drain lines to my sump.

Bryan

Attachments

• plumbing.jpg
    plumbing.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 841
A

Anonymous

I am having a problem with gurgling noises at high flow rates. I think I have found the problem, but would like some opinions on whether it is worth it or not.

The problem as I see it is the adapter from 1" PVC to 1" Hose. The inside diameter of that fitting is only 7/8" whereas all the rest of the plumbing is 1". I think the water is getting jammed up there.

I am thinking about getting some hose that will fit over the PVC slip to Pipe thread adapter and getting rid of the PVC pipe to hose fitting.

This would give the water a larger hose to go down after it comes out of the 1" PVC

Any thoughts on that would be appreciated.

BTW the small clear hose going in the elbow at the top of the pic is to quiet the gurgling. It does a super job, but it cuts the flow way down.

Bryan

DustinDorton

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With hang on the back over flow boxes you can cure the gurgling sound by putting some airline tubing down the drain pipe. You just feed it down inch by inch until you find the sweet spot and the gurgling will stop. Its been a long time since I have done it, so I cant rember if it vents air out, or sucks air in. Either way, it makes a big noise difference.

ScottC

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used gate valves to back the water up in the plumbing to eliminate noise. Plumb it in below the drain, and keep the valve closed just enough to reduce the noise without restricting too much flow.

DustinDorton

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a valve on a drain line is not always the best idea. Your adding one more space for something to get stuck. If a snail or a fish makes it down the drain, there is little hope its gonna pass through the bottle neck you create with a valve.

You will have a couple other options, you could create something similar to a "durso" stand pipe, even though your tank is plumbed through the side.

Try out the airline and let us know what happens.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what the tubing going in at the top of the elbow at the top of the pic is.

It does cure the gurgling, but it slows the flowrate

A gate valve will do the same thing (slow the flowrate) wouldn't it?

I already have the return pump cut down with a valve, I just want to quiet it without cutting it down more.

Bryan

DustinDorton

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gate valve will probably help, but that should be your last resort. The clogging problem is a real danger.

Do you have any pictures from the front of the tank showing the bulkhead? How far is it below the water?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is a pic of my homemade bulkhead

Remember, I can already get it to run quiet, but The flowrate is much reduced.

The round piece of cap is no longer there. that was a piece of experiment that I didn't like as it kept the drains from taking surface water.

I really would like to know if anyone thinks having a 7/8" internal diameter fitting in that drain line will slow the flow and cause gurgling.

the reason I think this is so is because the 3/8" airling tubing will quiet the drain as soon as it reaches the bottom of that fitting.

Thanks for all the input so far

Bryan

Attachments

• drain.jpg
    drain.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 811
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me see if I got this straight.You used a reducer pvc fitting so you could use a smaller "flex' hose? Why did'nt you make it all one size? Is this a new fairly new tank? Over time crud and what not alage will build in the pipes and help keep it quiet. I am having the same sort of problem with a over-flow box,it has 2 ...1" drain lines and one of them is loud as hell!!!!! I am gonna try some sort of durso stanfpipe as soon as I heal up.
I would get rid of the reducer and get flex that will fit over the 1" line,then you could use a ball valve to help keep it quiet. When I use my ball valve it restricts the flow to much.
Is this a ovewr-flow type box? Or is it drilled? Have you tried the stand-pipes.........I have seen one made for a over-flow box on one web site I will see if I can find it for you.
David
p.s.
I hope some of this made sense!!! 8O

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well salt,

I used a 1" pvc male pipe thread to 1" hose barb fitting. Now the internal diameter of everything in the line is 1". Except that one fitting, which is 7/8"

That is why I am thinking of changing it.

I think the standpipe idea is out as I can not unglue all those fittings.

Bryan

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't blame you for redoing everything.I would change out that 1 fitting and see what happens. My over-flow box is driving me nuts,I am gonna have to try one of those stand-pipes ideas for it. Well man good luck and I hope you get it all straight and have a safe and Happy 4th!!!!! :D
David

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, here it is, and it works

I cut off the 1" slip to thread adapter and slipped this hose over it. The hose was expensive. 3.50/ft, but it is certainly worth it.

Before this modification the pump was cut down with a valve to about 80%. If I covered up one of the drains, the main tank would overflow.

Now I have the pump running at 100% and I can cover one of the drains completely and one drain handles the flow.

It is slightly noiser than before though, I will work on that.

The problem was The thread to hose barb adapter. It was actually 13/16" inside diameter, so that is like having 3/4 " drains instead of 1"

Bryan

PS, thanks for all the help

Attachments

• 103_0316.jpg
    103_0316.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 765

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: