• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Modo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a quote from a local acrylic supplier here in Dallas for 3/8" cast acrylic sheeting and 6"(od) cast acrylic tubing.

Here is the quoted pricing. Please note that this is also not US but foreign acrylic. No brand given at the time of the quote.

4x8' sheet of 3/8" cast acrylic - $119.00
6" cast tube for a 6ft lot - $61.85 per ft ($5.15 an inch) 8O

Are these fair prices from a local supplier? I had the tubing priced out at 3/8 thickness as well. Is this the correct thickness of tube wall or could we use 1/8 or 1/4" thickness? These would not be special order.

Sorry to jump the gun if we are going to cover this later on. But, just trying to get a feel for the acrylic "market" here in Big D. :wink:

cybershark

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 3/8" sheet sounds pretty fair . The 6 " tube should be .250 wall cast .375 would be overkill. normal price for the tube around me is normaly $22.00 - $24.00 per foot if you buy the whole tube. 5 or 6 foot depending on how made it.

Hope this helps you out.
Russ

Modo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OKAAAAY...now this sounds a little better. The guy just called me back on a 6ft lot of 1/4" thick 6" cast tube. They usually carry this in-house and will have some in 3-days (not that I'll need it but good info).

6" cast tube for a 6ft lot (1/4") - $26.00 per ft ($2.17 per in.)

Now we're talking! :D

Thanks guys for the input. I had to go clean my undies on that first quote. Now of course if Brian doesn't come back and say 3/8" is the sh*t we're in the clear at my house.

I still forgot to get brands from the guy though. :oops:

Modo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah,
If any of you are wondering this is Allied Plastic Supply, INC. that I'm dealing with. It's the same place that hooked me up with the WO #4 and #40.

I don't think anyone else is here in the DFW Metromess, but if so they are located at Walnut Hill and I35. The number is 972/392-2708. If any of you are close by maybe we can pool an order together on down the line.

-Kurt

fergy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's okay for cast, but it's going to be crap material. Don't get import, unless you want to have weak glue joints and poor tolerances. Plex-G is running about $140 per sheet right now, and Cyro is running $180-200 per sheet of 3/8" right now, after freight. Petroleum prices are up.Perhaps you didn't read lesson #1? ;-) Chances are he won't tell you the brand, since it's not a "real brand". It will just be from some small island somewhere, or Asia.

That tube price is fair. I pay more, after shipping and tax. I charge 2.60/" now, since I lost money on this project by charging 2.30/"

BRIAN

Modo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right. I'll see what happens when I request name-brand. I plan on being over that way next week and might run in and do some face-to-face. It seems like a pretty big operation over there so well see what they can work out on some Cyro or Plexi-G.

Casie

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a 4x8 sheet of Plexi-G by AtoFina in town! I paid $253 for it. I'm thrilled to have so much material to play with. =)

I'm sure my first cuts are gonna go pretty ugly. =P

Regal said they are still trying to get their hands on the Weldon 40 for me. He ordered a "sample" shipment to avoid having to buy a case... or something like that.

I also picked up a $75 saw blade for my table saw. Yowsers! LOL! *wispers* I put that on my hubby's company card, so its for work if anyone asks. ; )

I'm gonna give it a go tomorrow before class chat time. I wanna cut it in half to make it easier to handle.

fergy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OUch, that's high for Plex-G. Who was the supplier? I get that for $140 now. That's more than you should pay for PolyCast, even in color. Sorry to rain on your parade ;-)

BRIAN

Casie

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it from Regal Plastics and I was elated to find it in town.

But if you have a lead on cheaper product located in Shreveport-Bossier area of Louisiana, feel free to point me that direction. =P

fergy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No leads in that area, but I'm usually shipping it in anyway...I was paying $130 per sheet, plus shipping, in lots of 3-4. Shipping was about $50-100, via freight.

I'm paying a little under $200 per sheet of Cyro right now, including shipping.

BRIAN

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having a hell of a time finding an on-line source for cast acrylic sheets. Seems everyone sell tubes, but not sheets.

How about a few links to some places that will ship it.

My local Acme Plastics want $230 for a 4X8 sheet of 3/8". I'd like to buy it a little better than that!

Louey

fergy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So call Laird, or Regal, or Piedmont...or any of a multitude of others. You're not going to find it on some web-based ordering system, because prices vary depending on who you are. You'll have to make some phone calls. Any of the places can ship it to you.

BRIAN

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: