• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

j_c_a

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.

I've been out of the reef keeping scene for around 10 years and plan on getting back into it. I'm about a year out from being able to set up a new tank and I'm taking this time to catch up on the changes since I've been away.

When I had my tanks before, I did a lot of DIY because I had no money at the time :) Now I've got a little more money, but still enjoy making stuff myself.

Back then a built a pretty nice recirculating venturi skimmer. The beckett-style skimmers look very interesting and I was wondering if anyone has built one that has the main pump setup in a recirculating configuration and then a seperate feed and exhaust to your sump. That way the flow rate through the skimmer would be adjustable completely independently of the actual air/water injection loop.

My thought was that for a smaller tank, you could reduce the height of the riser column significantly while still allowing for adequate contact time, via the recirulation loop. By slowing the overall throughput between the skimmer and sump, you could ensure adequate "round-trips" per water volume within the skimmer itself.

Good idea? Bad idea? Been tried? Am I nuts?

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi j_c_a and

rdo_welcome.gif

:P

Personally I've never heard of anyone doing it, but that doesn't mean it won't work. I'd say try it out and see what happens. Sounds reasonable to me. :)

Shane

turtlespd

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recirculating beckett skimmer is nothing new..a while back at RC someone posted a MTC skimmer that was custom made for a company. It was awsome. IMO the best way to go. I personaly think that a recrulating modle would add contact time and can be more effective. I cant find the thread now since skimmer is always a hot topic..but head over to Reefcentral and log in Beckett skimmer.. if you have the time youll find it..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: