• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Robin Goodfellow

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi.
Most mag drive pump can not be "upgraded" this way. For directional pump like Iwasaki, Little Giant, and others, you can do it with some model, but not these cheapie motor with Mag2.

ReefVan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D Robin Goodfellow,

Not entirely true, I have witnessed the upgrading of a Mag 1200 to 1800 with the instal'n of a Mag 1800 impeller a few months back.

Effectively the flow increased to expected levels and my reefer buddy now has a Mag 1800. It still runs problem-free.

Many people on RC are now dicussing upgrading a Mag 5 to 7 with the same mod. The pumps are physically identical otherwise.

Any manufacturer which puts out a pump for a nominal $10.00 difference in price from one to another isn't doing magic. Speculation is that it's the price difference in impellers and the fact that manufacturing costs would be prohibitive if each and every model was unique.

BTW, word is that the SEN 700 and 900 are only different in the interchangeable impellers that they have. 8O

Maybe if someone who has tried it can post the results here.

ReefVan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D O.K here's the scoop,

Posted today on RC,

bacnberger:
I finally got to do some experimenting. I purchased a mag 7 impeller and tested it in both a mag 3 and a mag 5. Upon doing some catalogue research I found that the mag 5 and the mag 3 use the same impeller so I am assuming the difference in these units is the windings in the housing. When I ran the 7 impeller in the 3 housing it didnt run smoothly and stuttered.
When I ran the 7 impeller in the 5 housing it ran smooth and quiet (sounding exactly as with the original impeller) and produced an notable increase in flow over the original impeller.
My conclusion would be (and this is just my opinion) that the housing or windings for a 5 and 7 are the same and you can change one into the other by using the appropriate impeller.

Exactly the same story as the Mag 1200 to the Mag 1800 impeller upgrade, it's just a question of economics and mass production.

YES!!!!!!!!!!! 8)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: