• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Gixxerryder

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all , I'm in the final stages of a DIY sump and was thinking of adding a BIO media into the first chamber that the water runs into. its a very small chamber as the main chamber is going to be a little refuge with liverock and a deep live sand bed .

The question is , If the BIO media ( balls or baile ) is completely underwater will it still be effective? and if its not effective without the oxegen exposure would adding an airstone to the bottom of this compartment do the trick?

Let me know what you think guys , Appriciate it.

Phil

20XT
Eclipse 1 hood
retro 2 x 36 wat PC ( 1 actinic 1-10k )
45 lbs live rock (assorted but mostly figi )
5 muchrooms and spreading
2 clusters of polyps and spreading
3 damsels and one clown

Soon to be 10 gal DIY sump filter with liverock as bio media

M.E.Milz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it will still be effective. However, you might be better off using live rock rubble. I was able to buy some of this from my LFS for $2.00 /lb. Just ask them if you can buy the small/tiny chunks of live rock that have accumulated in the bottom of their live rock tanks. Or you can brak up a larger piece with a hammer and chissel. My preference is to use golf-ball and tennis-ball sized irregular pieces I filled my sump with 40 lbs of this stuff to capture air bubbles and provide a habitiate for critters.

WRT using an airstone, you won't need it. The water rushing into the first chamber will be very oxygenated because of teh turbulaent flow.

FWIW, I replaced the bio-media with little pieces of live rock rubble in my mother's cpr BakPak unit for the same reasons.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: