• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

StirCrazy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I started building last night and today this is what I have.

kalkreactor3.jpg

and 5 min after installed

kalkreactor4.jpg

Steve

ReefVan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D Hey StirCrazy,

Nice reactor, glad to see you're still at it. What's kind of Mag have you got powering that beast? :P

Really nice workmanship, what's the reason for the flanged joint at the middle of the unit instead of at the top? :?

Van 8)

dtiedke

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ReefVan":8m9r37oj said:
:what's the reason for the flanged joint at the middle of the unit instead of at the top? :?

My thoughts exactly...How would you refill the unit? I assume you will have to drain it, is that correct?

Looks like it was very well made though....Care to make me one? :lol: :lol:

StirCrazy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well there is a baffel at that point that is suposed to prevent unmixed kalk from getting into the top chamber.. that way I don't have to worry about dosing raw kalk. it is working but not as good as I would like so I am going to make a different design and add a 3rd level now (this is the reason for the flange on top) 8) I was going to do it this way in the first place but I was hoping the easy way would work :wink:

there will be a drain at the bottom so I can drain down the level enuf to remove the top, as it is now I can pick up the whole thing and remove it from my stand with out draining it.. then I can tip it into the sink or drain it by undoing the pump unions.

oh the pump is a mag 2, mixes it good in about 20 seconds 8O

Steve

ReefVan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D Hi Steve,

I am in the process of building a KW reactor myself and after trying a mechanical stirrer am unhappy with the results.

As such I am now going to a integrated p/head stirring solution myself.

I have observed that many people are using MJ1200's for this but that an overall theme is arising, that too much mixing is occuring and that too many people are worried now about raw KW entering the sump/tank.

The stirring power required is a function of the volume of the reactor and as such I am wondering if perhaps your pump is too strong and/or is on too long and/or too frequently.

The supersaturated KW sludge in the bottom reactor should be sufficient when stirred occasionally to satisfy the pH dosing requirements of the solution.

Digital timers can be programed for as little as a 1 minute resolution with about 20 to 40 programs per 24 hr period.

I myself will be trying one of those digital timers with a small mini-jet pump from the makers of the MaxiJet for mixing in my reactor, I'll keep you up to date. Hope it's enough to agitate the solution sufficiently in my 4" dia x 24" high reactor tower.

I'll also be using this same type of pump as a feed pump for the Ca reactor that I'm building in tandem with the Kw reactor.

Van 8)

StirCrazy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey ReefVan, my dission to use a magdrive 2 was for pure conveniance, easy to mount to unions and I had one laying around :wink: also when I add the 3rd chamber to it I will not get any overmixing as I will have two zones, I am getting it now but I am getting a acumalation of kalk on the baffel plate which I want to get rid of.

I am also using X-10 to run it and I am stiring for 1 min 4 times a day.

Steve

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reefvan,
save yourself some future headaches and use a Maxijet 400. Standard MJ fittings and easier to get a replacement impeller once you start experiementing with pickling lime.

ReefVan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D StoneyReef,

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep it in mind when I add the Kw reactor to my 220 Reef project which is presently underway.

Van 8)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: