• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

charvatg

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I'm sure this topic has come up on many occasions. Here it is again:
Has anyone had any experience with the dorm room fridge DIY chiller?

(ie you put a large amount of vynl tubing or plastic tubing inside of a small refridgerator and pump water through it to chill a small aquarium)

I have a 29 gal reef tank that needs some chilling, on the cheap. I have read mixed reviews about this method.

You guys have been a great help in the past on my previous chiller problems wtih the Azoo... thanks.

Greg

Robin Goodfellow

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi.
It works, but not very efficiently. It is not practical unless the tank is small, and not much heat is put on it (light, pump, etc.)

trigger1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will bring it down 1-2 degrees.
I tried adding add'l tubing and slowing the flow down but watch out for the lines freezing.

Robin Goodfellow

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi.
No matter how complex the DIY chiller is, there is so much it can do. It is fun and rewarding to make a DIY chiller, but don't expect it to do miracle in your tank unless you have a small tank.

Assume you hack it so that it is as efficient as a chiller with a titanium heat exchanger, check out the horse power of the compressor of the dorm frig... something like 100Watt or less than 1/6 HP? And they are not designed to run anymore than a few hours per day.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: