• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Yeah, the joints held water!

Attachments

• base.gif
    base.gif
    71.4 KB · Views: 2,399
  • base-and-bubble-counter.gif
    base-and-bubble-counter.gif
    86.8 KB · Views: 2,411
  • bubble-counter-closeup.gif
    bubble-counter-closeup.gif
    71.1 KB · Views: 2,408
A

Anonymous

I had not yet flush trimmed the base box in the above photo.

Below are some pictures of other joints.

How do you think they turned out?

Attachments

• tube.gif
    tube.gif
    154.3 KB · Views: 2,378
  • tube-joint-close-up.gif
    tube-joint-close-up.gif
    160.3 KB · Views: 2,381
  • tube-joint-pin-gap.gif
    tube-joint-pin-gap.gif
    180.5 KB · Views: 2,393
A

Anonymous

You can see in the above photo that I had stuck the pin in to far. I forget it wasn't supposed to extend past the tube edge. Will thois joint be ok, or do i need to do something to fix it?

I did the "money seam", between the tube and the base this morning. I aced it. No bubbles whatsoever. I'll post a photo after it is fully cured.

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the money seam!

Attachments

• money-seam.gif
    money-seam.gif
    163.8 KB · Views: 2,354

jonovan02

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, great work Louey!

Too bad I missed that MACO class. I'm in the process of building a DIY acrylic sump and the seams are really bubbly not to mention all the drip marks from the glue.

If you can post some tips on how to work with acrylic that would sure help a lot of us unacrylically-inclined out. (I made that word up :D )

You used pins? I'm using Weldon #16 and that stuff is really runny.. any suggestions?

Jonovan

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can post some tips on how to work with acrylic that would sure help a lot of us unacrylically-inclined out. (I made that word up )

You used pins? I'm using Weldon #16 and that stuff is really runny.. any suggestions?

I use pins and weldon #4. Make sure you are using cast acrylic. Spartech or Acrolite GP are the best. For a sump, you should glue the sides to the front first. Leave a little of the front panel overlapped and flush trim latter. Once the side have cured, flip it over and glue the sides to the back panel. Glue the baffles in place. And lastly, glue the whole thing to the bottom. Overlap and flush trim every chance you get. Make sure the pins do not extend all the way past the other side of the acrylic. Use clamps to hold things in place for glueing. Use weights to help force bubbles out. Pull the pins before the glue begins to set-up (within 30 seconds of glueing the seam.)

I haven't built a sump yet myself, but if memory serves the above is generally to sequence you should follow.

Anyone else have any input?

Louey

jonovan02

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great advice!

So you're supposed to stick pins between the seams? How far apart? Then you insert the glue between the seams (and pins) with the fine point applicator, correct? Then remove the pins and apply pressure/weight. Maybe I should have used that pin methood. I spent over $70 on 1/4" acrylic for my sump and seriously considering doing it over.

Anyone interested in buying a bubbly seamed acrylic sump? LOL :lol:

Jonovan

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The applicator actually has a needle coming out of the top of a bottle. The pins that were provided in the MACO course are actually small wires tied to washers. The washer gives you something to grip when you go to pull the wires (pins) out. The wire provided by MACO was steel spring wire. It is available at McMaster-Carr. It is about the same diameter as a bread wire with the paper or plastic ripped off.

Oh, and one more thing. Make sure your seams are clean before your glue them. Clean them with a clean cloth and let them dry. Blow any dust out but don't used canned air as this can have a chemical residue. Also bend the wire so that they are not touching the exposed surface outside the seam. Glue would run along the wire and mare the finish. Of course that really doesn't matter if your just making stuff for yourself.

I'll try and remember to take some pics of a "pinned up" reactor that I'm currently buiding. It'll give some more ideas how the Pros do it. lol

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, does your "bubble seam sump" hold water? I'm just curious how "bubble free" the seams really have to be.

Louey

jonovan02

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Louey":5a6u8k25 said:
BTW, does your "bubble seam sump" hold water? I'm just curious how "bubble free" the seams really have to be.

Louey

I did a 24 hour water test. It seems to be holding up so far... I think I'll just goop on extra Weldon across all the seams just in case... or maybe I'll just try it again.

Thanks for all the tips. I'll post again when I need some more "Pro" advice. :wink: Hmmm.. what to do, what to do.

J

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jonovan,

Here are the pinned-up reactor pics that I promised.

Attachments

• dscn4363.gif
    dscn4363.gif
    119.5 KB · Views: 2,207
  • dscn4364.gif
    dscn4364.gif
    99.4 KB · Views: 2,211
  • dscn4365.gif
    dscn4365.gif
    111 KB · Views: 2,210
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More:

Attachments

• dscn4366.gif
    dscn4366.gif
    112.6 KB · Views: 2,202
  • dscn4367.gif
    dscn4367.gif
    131.4 KB · Views: 2,203
  • dscn4368.gif
    dscn4368.gif
    221.5 KB · Views: 2,208
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One final shot. This is the seam immediatley after I shot it. The pic is not in very good focus. There is one area where you can see two bubbles. They were the only bubbles in this seam and by the time it cured, with the weights on to, it was down to a single, very tiny size bubble, bearly visible at all. This seam will be fine.

Attachments

• dscn4369.gif
    dscn4369.gif
    93.2 KB · Views: 2,197

jonovan02

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great work!

I have finally decided to try my sump again. This time I'll try your pin/needle technique (I believe it's called capillary joining?? Did some research :D ). I already bought a can of Weldon#4 (instead of #16) and have that little applicator thingy. Just need to get the acrylic. Thank you so much for the great tips!

Jonovan

madrefkepr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Louey,

Was the acrylic tube you used cast or extruded? Have been looking for a source for 6" OD cast acrylic tube, and have so far come up empty. Do you have any ideas?

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://www.mcmaster.com

I didn't purchase my tube from them. My tube came with the reactor package that was purchased from the instructor of the Maco course. Maybe you could PM fergy and ask where he purchased it from. OR start a new topic.

Louey

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: