• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

squeezix

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I;m looking to put a MJ900 ony my sealife systems 75 skimmer. Anyone ever done this? what mods need I make?

squeezix

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, here's the deal. Today I drilled the MJ 900 to accept the air injector amd the hose from the outlet to thi inlet. I still pushes too much water with very little bubble action up and above the reaction chamber
I duplicated the original setup, but with a maxi and it still doesn't work

Not only does it not make enough bubbles, but it pushes the water all the way out of the skimmer

I am not a big fan of Rio Powerheads. I have had a few fail and want to switch to maxijet, but they do not have proper fittings for my skimmer.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you I'd definitely send a private message to ReefVan. I'm sorry I can't help you more on this, but I'll help bump, ok?

ReefVan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D squeezix,

Gee thanks for the plug seamaiden, but about the only thing I've never DIYed is a skimmer. :P

I'd have to look into to this in more depth and wouldn't have any answers right away since I'm not familiar with the design.

Maybe Wolfman or another skimmer guru could get you a quicker answer, sorry I couldn't be of more help.

p.s - I seem to remember that the Rio pumps have like a needle wheel impeller and therefore make a better bubble generator than perhaps a MaxiJet, which is made for high flow.

Van 8)

LA-Lawman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, they make venturi kits for the maxijets.. you might want to see if you can get your hands on one. If you cant i can... can u post pics....

squeezix

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics of what? My mod? No problem. Otherwise I'll call maxi-jet. My mod did not work. I drilled into the intake from the side, one hole tubed to a needle valve, the other to the intake, um, manifold(?) Miserable failure, but these maxi jets are great powerful pimps, I'll call them.

squeezix

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did it, wednesday night. The first two nights, no foam, but much bubbles and even agitation.

Now I finally have dry foam, which would never happen with the Rio. The Rio would sometimes fill the cup with water.

I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch, I have much algae right now.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: