• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Here are some photo of the calcium reactor that I just finished building in the MACO class. In the photo's I am running in the utility sink to insure that all joints are good. I cna't put it in service because my regulator and ARM have not arrived yet.

I must say that the MACO course was first rate. I had no experience whatsoever with working with acrylic and I built this one w/o any leaks (knock on wood).

The kit as $122, glue was $75 ( I couldn't find pint sized weldon #40 locally, so I bout a gallon), the to router bits were about $60. I pobably spent another $30 on misc fitting and shop supplies that were not included in the kit. The cost of the bits and glue will amortirized over future projects such as skimmers, sumps, etc. I am looking forward to building my own acrylic products.

Other cost not associated with building this thing, but necessary to complete the reactor is $80 for a litttle giant pump, $130 for a 20# co2 tan filled, and $28 for two 8# packages of arm.

Louey

Attachments

• dscn4340.gif
    dscn4340.gif
    187.6 KB · Views: 1,705
  • dscn4341.gif
    dscn4341.gif
    199.6 KB · Views: 1,711
  • dscn4342.gif
    dscn4342.gif
    167.8 KB · Views: 1,713
A

Anonymous

..and one more pic.

Attachments

• dscn4343.gif
    dscn4343.gif
    178.6 KB · Views: 1,700

ReefVan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D AlbinoOscar,

Probably you weren't logged in. Until you log in, pics won't show, to reply you had to log in. Voila! :wink:

Van

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Job Louey :) I'm guessing the cel cast tube was 90% of the cost of parts?

Let me know how it works once you put media in and get it working.

krux

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so here is the question...

could you make another one for about 200 shipped?

that would give you like 70 bucks for your time, which would also help offset the cost of the supplies!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way. I'd be working for about $2.50 per hour trying to build one of these from scratch. If "kits" with pre-cut materials were available it would be another thing. But building one complete from scratch would be expensive. FWIW, the blade for cutting acrylic is $100.00.

Louey

krux

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ahh didnt realize the construction took that much time. oh well, guess i may as well just take a similar class in the future :P

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Below are some pics of my new reactor now that it is all set up and operational. It's been running for about 4 days now. I'm still tweaking the through-put rate and the bubble count. My readings this morning were CA 480ppm, alk 3.43 meq/l, system ph 7.9 (a little low, but this is the AM reading), effluent PH 6.39. That alkalinty reading is up considerably since I started using this thing. My alk before only 2.51 meq/l. So I am happy about that.

Attachments

• dscn4354.gif
    dscn4354.gif
    113.8 KB · Views: 1,530
  • dscn4351.gif
    dscn4351.gif
    125.7 KB · Views: 1,532
  • dscn4358.gif
    dscn4358.gif
    128.7 KB · Views: 1,536
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You notice that the reactor is in the room behind the tank. this is good because it is a little noisier than what you want sittting next to your TV. This rooms will one day house a built-in 300G. The reactor was built with this in mind. It should easily handle a 300G.

Below are some pics that show how i jury rigged a way to catch the effluent so that the ph can be tested. I took a container that 35MM films comes in and sat it on a shelf that is built into my lifereef sump. The shelf is for canister filters and probes. I took a piece of 1/4 line and put a few wraps on plumbing tape on it and stuffed it into the inside of the fittings where the effluent enters the sump. Then I put the other end of the 1/4 line into the film container. The effluent just spills over into the sump from there. When I build my sump for my 300G, I will build something better into it to account for this. But, this works!

Louey

Attachments

• dscn4352.gif
    dscn4352.gif
    139.2 KB · Views: 1,525
  • dscn4353.gif
    dscn4353.gif
    150 KB · Views: 1,528
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AlbinoOscar":2ybfhagc said:
Never mind!

As soon as I posted that reply, IE showed the pics!

IE's a piece of junk!!!!!!

AlbinoOscar
It doesn't matter what browser you're using, AO, be it IE, Netscape, Mozilla, whatever. It's a hack that determines whether or not you're registered; if you're not registered, you can't see pics. But we still hate Bill Gates, right? ;)

Lou, what if you just T-valved the line (like they do in water municipalities and we have at the aquarium) so you can take a sample that way?

Really nice job, btw, clean work, very clean work.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DOH! <sm smacks her forehead> :roll:

AlbinoOscar! Welcome to reefs.org! :D

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: