• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

fergy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several people asked for a finished picture, so I thought I'd put one up here. There are several differences between my reactor and the ones you made for the course, however. First off, I did not use the CobraFlex fittings as you did. Instead, I used 1/2" John Guest fittings. I do this on all of my reactors, as a design decision. In addition, it would have cost each of you another $20 in parts, and I was trying to keep costs down.

I would ask that each of you find your own method of plumbing your reactors, as this picture shows the design I market. Innovate, please. The CobraFlex method works perfect, and is what I used to use, before I changed everything over to John Guest fittings.

I apologize, as my pump was used, and dirty.

You'll notice a T fitting at the top of my PVC inside the reactor...this is to keep the water from spraying into the outlet fitting.

This reactor is now running on my system. No leaks, and seems to be doing perfect.

BRIAN

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking reactor Fergy.

I think one nice addition to the reactors would be ball unions, in lien of just unions. It seems that it will always be a PITA to take the pump off for cleaning as all of the water will want to empty out.

Your course was top notch, Fergy. I am looking forward to Acrylics 201 (the skimmer course.)

Louey

fergy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to clean them all that often, because the low pH cleans the pump. That's one reason to use the better pumps, as well.

I don't usually use any unions, just the John Guest speedfit fittings. I take the entire unit outside to clean when I do it, and just drain the entire thing.

BRIAN

mattboy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Fergy;

Wow; I like the John Guest fittings for plumbing. I've been wrestling with how to plumb this thing to minimize the footprint. Elbows on the I/O fittings would be perfect, only I don't see a way to get them on and off with the base in the way. One thing I was thinking of is cutting the base short enough so that I can rotate elbows on and off; at least one elbow. The I/O fittings are close enough together so that only one can accomodate a standard elbow. I still have not glued the reactor to the base because I'm STILL waiting for my pump from inland reef. It will take another several days to get here, and I'm waiting to have all the parts and the plumbing/mounting figured out before I glue the reactor to the base.

I guess the J.G. fittings take care of that, because you can attach the elbows without rotating them in place. Hmmmm.

Matt

mbarta

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the pic Fergy. I did read the lesson, but still glued the front piece on wrong. Its just that the input o the pump is now on the right instead of the left. I have dry fitted everything and it actually works out better this way. Just look at the pic above and if the input to the pump was on the right you wouldnt have to plumb around the input to the reactor.

What size pump is that?

fergy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a little giant 2 pump. I know what you mean, about having to go around the input of the reactor, but I can't get the T fitting in that feeds from the bubble counter if I did that.

BRIAN

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: