• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

sid

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and thank you for eading this...

I need to find an online vendor that sells weld-on #5 and #12 acrylic solvent. I want to try to build my first acrylic tank but NO-ONE here in my home town carries it or for that fact, has heard of it. (sorry, little vent) I know this sounds dumb but seriously, I have called sign shops, improvement centers, glass shops, and my LFS. no dice. I was even told by one glass shop that there is no way to glue plexiglass because glues wont stick to it and that this was a good quality feature :lol: :roll:

thnx
sid

skipm

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered some cement from www.usplastics.com, I don't know if they carry the cements you are looking for but they do carry Weldon 16 and either 3 or 4 (what I bought). Good luck, Skip

Acrylics

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sid":1bcwzgun said:
Hi and thank you for eading this...

I need to find an online vendor that sells weld-on #5 and #12 acrylic solvent. I want to try to build my first acrylic tank but NO-ONE here in my home town carries it or for that fact, has heard of it. (sorry, little vent) I know this sounds dumb but seriously, I have called sign shops, improvement centers, glass shops, and my LFS. no dice. I was even told by one glass shop that there is no way to glue plexiglass because glues wont stick to it and that this was a good quality feature :lol: :roll:

thnx
sid

Sid,
Look for Weld-on 4 instead of #5. It's a little faster but one you'll be much more likely to find - especially online. I don't know of anyone stocking #5 at all. You can make your own #5 by taking #4 and adding 3-5% acetic acid (not vinegar) to slow the reaction down a little more.
As for #12, I gotsta tell ya - you got me stumped as well. I've never heard of #12 much less used it. Are you positively sure it exists? Did you get that # from someone who meant #10 or #16?
If all else fails, call IPS (www.ipscorp.com for phone#) and they can tell you who's got what in your (or any) area and when they got it.
Weld-on solvents for acrylic are: 3, 4, 5, 10, 16 with 3, 4, and 16 being the most commonly found.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help,
James

sid

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the replies guys. I got the numbers from ernie on another topic thread. in his outline to building a sump he stated he used weldon 5 and 12 so I just went with those numbers.

so what I want is 4 and 16?

thanks
sid

sid

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
james,

I just checked out the IPS link and heres what i found:

No such thing as 12 so it was a typo in my documentation. 16 is what was most likely ment to by read.

#5 does exsist. here is its discription from ips:

5 - Water thin, slow-setting solvent cement for bonding acrylics. Also bonds styrene, butyrate, PETG and polycarbonate to themselves. Will not bond to cross linked acrylics.

just slower setting than #4 other than that no diff. so 4 it'll be.

Thanks for the help to both of you....

sid

Acrylics

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sid":3ga1drp9 said:
No such thing as 12 so it was a typo in my documentation. 16 is what was most likely ment to by read.

#5 does exsist. here is its discription from ips:
just slower setting than #4 other than that no diff. so 4 it'll be.

Yeah I knew about the #5, but ya had me worried about the #12 - I'd never heard of it - now I know why :)
Again, you can slow the #4 down if ya want by adding a little acid.
#16 is essentually #3 with some acrylic acrylic shavings thrown in as a thickening agent.

James

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: