• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Fish_man

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
new DIY for your cave lovers... and for a custom UGF thought of this and tried it myself on a 10 gallon... it is great if you have a fishroom, and cave dwellers love it... post here if you have any questions for me about this design... this is the first draft sort of so help me make it better.... anybody with a goby and a small to mid size tank would love to get one of these babies...

Attachments

• herbs creative diy false bottom tank.jpg
    herbs creative diy false bottom tank.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 850

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why exactly do you have an eggcrate/screen layer on there? Do you want to see the tubing underneath?

Shane

Fish_man

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i thought it would make it easier for the UGF part to take stuff off the bottom... you can remove it if ya want though... thats why i said it was an idea...

MarkS

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to do something simular, but by running PVC pipe under the sand and in the rock.

I do have a question for you... Why are you even using a UGF? Is this a freshwater tank? You do know that these are generally considered bad in saltwater tanks?

Mark

Fish_man

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know they are usually considered bad, but in my case i keep the UGF goind because this sytem has numerous caves all around 3 sides, and i need to keep the dead spots from forming, it is custom made to go right into a pipe and to a magnum 330 filter, then through a protein skimmer, and back in the tank through a modified millenium3000. works great for me so far, ghe millenium has a pip that goes outward into a PVC spraybar custom made.... i will post pictures of the tank when it was dry if youi would like a better explanation..

MarkS

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless of the UGF, it's a cool idea.

What I had planned was to create an intricate, connected network of caves out of 2" and 3" PVC. The cave system would run throughout the sand bed and come out in two seperate locations. The rock work would be built around the various cave entrances at the two locations, forming two islands of live rock. The exposed PVC would also act as a support for the rock and would be completely hidden. I was thinking about forming some fake cave entrances out of agrocrete to ensure the PVC was well hidden.

At various points in the cave system, 1" PVC would be connected and would join together at the return pump. By using a ball valve between the pump and the 1" PVC, all I would have to do is open the valve to flush out the cave system.

This was supposed to be used on a 900 gallon wooden tank I was going to build. I still plan on building it, but not for a while.

Mark

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: