• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

kycoralhead

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to know if anyone has a method for repairing scratches in acrylic tanks. I have some in a tank in service and would like to do what I could to repair. Any help out there on this topic. :roll:

kycoralhead

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for the info, I need something that will work on the inside. I do not know if this kit will work on the inside without harming the fish. I plan on taking the water level down to do the work. Has anyone used a kit like this one? Or are other ways possible.

Acrylics

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kycoralhead":3fpwh9v5 said:
thank you for the info, I need something that will work on the inside. I do not know if this kit will work on the inside without harming the fish. I plan on taking the water level down to do the work. Has anyone used a kit like this one? Or are other ways possible.

It will work fine and won't harm anything inside the tank. It is better used wet than dry anyway..
It is actually a small kit of Micro-Mesh which can be bought through many acrylic fabrication resources online or at www.micro-surface.com.
For deep scratches you may need to start with 320grit wet/dry sandpaper and work up the scale until you can use the Micro-Mesh as it starts at a 1200 grit abrasive cloth and goes through a series until you hit 12000.
Tedious process but works very well.

HTH,
James

the Wizard

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently removed a series of fairly significant scratches using 1500 wet/dry sandpaper, then a course automotive polish, and then a fine swirl mark remover automotive polish (both by 3M). I was surprised at how well it worked and how fast it went. I did use a random orbital polisher.

Ross

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: