• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

mattboy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brian;

You asked for an innovation as the last assignment. How about this? An extra J.G. fitting on the lid to collect C02 and run it back to the pump input. We could use the same 1/2" bushings, only trim off the slip part so that the bushing is flush with the interior of the lid. Because the output bushing extends down into the lid, any excess C02 would tend to miss it and get pushed into the recirc fitting. This fitting could get connected to to the input line with a J.G. tee between the bubble counter and the pump input.

What do you think? Is this what the extra fitting on the lid of your reactor (pictured before the class started) was for?

Matt

fergy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to do that, but when you're running high flows through the reactor, the CO2 that accumulated tended to kill the prime of the pump. It works fine for small systems, but when you're really pushing the reactor, it kills it. Also, if power goes out, the same thing happens, because as soon as the power kicks back on, all of that accumulated CO2 sucks into the pump.

I decided a few designs ago to just let the excess CO2 vent off through the outlet hose, instead of recirculating. I think those manufacturers who make reactors which draw in this excess CO2 haven't ever had either of the above situations occur to them.

You're welcome to expriment, maybe you won't have those situations occur for you. But for me, it was problematic, and since CO2 is cheap, I didn't really worry about it.

BRIAN

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: