• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

agiacosa

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fergy,

The MTC ProCal reactor manages to create some sort of suction that allows the reactor to draw in feed water rather than needing to feed it via a pump. Any thoughts on this?

Also, I've heard that calcium reactors may accumulate CO2 in the top part of the reactor. This is especially true if you have a power outage. The MTC reactor solves this problem with a CO2 exhaust check valve. Any thoughts on this?

Lastly, some people use a flowmeter either on the water feed line or on the effluent line. I would like to put a flowmeter/needle valve combination on the effluent line so that I can easily control the flow. Have you ever considered doing this? Any issues I should be aware of?

Sorry about all the references to the MTC product, but it is the best reactor I've seen. Of course, I have not seen the one you market. :wink:

Thanks and regards,

Art

fergy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the exhaust vent, you have it, because the excess CO2 will leave through the outlet. This is why I don't recirculate it back into the pump.

The MTC doesn't work well for this, when you want large flows through the reactor, and it's not very regular. You can also do it with your reactor, but it won't work well in the long run. There has to be more pressure differential between the inlet and outlet sides, and because you are adding CO2, it will tend to kill this flow. Again, it works well on little reactors, and those without much flow, but if you need to crank it up, you're hosed.

Put the flowmeter on the input side, not the output. On the output, it will clog with calcium scale over time, and then your reactor will pressurize. Remember, you're adding CO2 under pressure.

BRIAN

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: