• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jcastonguay6

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting on my first DIY sump. My question may be elementary for some of you old timers but I can't seem to grasp the physics. I have a 20-gallon all glass tank beneath my stand and a pump that returns 400 gph back to the main tank. I have a siphon tube that drains the main tank down to the sump. Since the siphon tube is capable of draining well over 400 gph what is the preferred method of regulating the level in the sump? I was thinking some kind of float valve. After researching, I can't seem to find any information on the subject. I would really appreciate any information on how all of you regulate the water level in your sump.

So confused!!!

Modo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The amount of water returned to the sump is equal to that being pumped out of it to the display tank. I'm assuming when you say siphon tube that you are referring to an overflow box. So, you would set your overflow at the preferred water level in the display. So any additional water pumped into the display will overflow out the siphon maintaining a constant level in the tank. A siphon overflow may be rated for 1000 gph but that is a maximum, if your only pumping 400gph then that is what will be returned, no more.

I think that is what you were asking. Please post exactly what your setup is and we can try and figure out your problem if not.

I just reread your post and you DO have a overflow box right? Not just a siphon tube draining the tank, correct? Sorry, if that is a silly question but thats kinda what your post sound like. :wink:

jcastonguay6

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, believe it or not I just had a siphon tube. Doesn't the overflow box loose its siphon quite regularly? I currently just have a siphon tube from the back of the tank with a modified all-plastic toilet bowl float valve at the end that’s sitting in my sump tank. This maintains the water level. I have been using hang on mechanical filters for years, could you recommend an overflow box?

Modo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8O
You may want to SERIOUSLY rethink your setup. I would highly recommend an siphon overflow before you have some serious water on your floor.

There are many designs out there. Some incorporate a powerhead that attaches to the high point of the siphon tube. This will draw out any air that may accumulate that could possibly break the siphon.

Do a search for "overflows", "siphon" or "hang on overflows" or any combination of the above. If you set it up right you should just need to do routine maintainence and you'll be alright.

jcastonguay6

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As soon as you gave me the word pre-filter I was able to research furthor. I think I have a good grasp of the theory behind the prefilter box now. Thank you so much for getting me pointed down the right path...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: