• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rob Top

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting to make "live rock" following GARF's directions. Just wondering who here has done this.

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done a little bit of it, but that was mostly to make frag plugs for some of the coral I was propping at the time. I know that it's pretty key that you soak any homemade rock in water for a while (month or so?) as there's quite a pH spike from freshly made rock.

Shane

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post some pics when you are done will ya?

I am interested in trying it too

Bryan

stano

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently made a bunch of rock using aragonite gravel. I am also following the GARF plans. I soaked mine in a lake for about 5 weeks, and am now soaking it in saltwater. I did put one small piece of rock in my reef tank as an experiment. So far no problems. I will keep you posted as to how i make out.

Stano

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi stano and

rdo_welcome.gif

:P

Shane

radar!

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have made the rocks for a couple of years. i cure them in fresh water and keep changing it every chance i get. i check the ph untill it goes below 8. then i put it in my grow out tank to get the corilline going. they work excellant in the display tank. you would never notice. 8)

sid

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey radar (not trying to change the original question) have you had any problem with the rock crumbling over time, I made some 3 years ago but it started to crumble after a year in salt water.

as for the original question, yes I to have made it and as radar stated, once covered and "worn in" it looks REALLY good. I too used the garf style of "aragocrete" and added the maccaronni to the mix to add porous areas...hmm maybe that was my problem...to much mac no cheese to bind it up :lol:

Sid

Rob Top

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well so far, so...something. I have had some rock turn out great, some not so, and some start to mold! The mold was from some maccoroni. I let it set to long befor I put it in to cure. Who has used viniger to speed the process of curing up? I had been for a couple weeks and am now to freshwater only. No ph tests yet as I am a few weeks away from even wanting to know. One problem I have just over come was the weight. A few rocks where very heavy, but after I took several differant drill bits and steel brush drill attachments to it, it looked great. I actually wond up going through all the rock and drilled holes, or marked the rock in some way. I found that masonary bits work best, but auger wood bits work good too. I got a cheap set of both types of bits, (wasn't about to use my good wood ones) and wore out several bits yesterday. The results are great! I used a rasp to make the holes uneven, wiggled the bits around to hollow out the insides more, and used the wire discs to rough things up. I also tried every dremal bit I have, but they are all too small, drill attachments and bits are best.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
www.garf.org

I've had the same problem with a few batches, some became very brittle after aging. Even some of the stuff I haven't submersed in salt water is crubling with age. Most is rock hard though, must be in the mixing. I've tried vinegar and muratic acid, both sped up the process greatly. Unfortunatly, I've also just used water for curing, and all the batches have been since mixed together, so I've got no clue which ones were cured with what process. I wish I would have labelled them, then I'd know if the vinegar or muratic acid contributed to the crumbling.

Tbrennan

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have made agrocrete for a few years. The cumbling problem could be from two items too fast of a cure or lack of proper hydration of the portland during the mixing (too dry mix). Instead of the mac for hole I add dry shell in areas when I am filling then blow it out with a water hose during curing. I have used vinigar but you will notice a rebound ph spike the best is slow and long.(4-6 weeks) I have several containers I put new water in every day and let them sit until I notice a algae growth starting then cure in salt water for a week

dummyterminal

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey gang.. I also have used garfs method to a degree...

100% portland no aragonite in the mix..
mix it fairly wet, and pour into sand/aragonite shaped mold.. let sit over night to harden. I then soak in water for about an hour or so then let sit out to dry again. my first batch was made in the winter so i used my oven at about 150*F to help dry the rocks out. then start the 5-6 weeks of daily water changes.

the rocks crumbling might be caused by the little of the portland to aragonite ratio

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: