• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Merkur

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 3/4" sea-swirl came from the factory with a 3/4" hose barb fitting pointing to the back, i would really like to modify that and hard plumb it. i'm setting up my tank so it will sit flush against the wall and this is the only item holding me back.

how do i do it like this fella???

Attachments

• intake%20and%20lh%20sea%20swirl%20sm.jpg
    intake%20and%20lh%20sea%20swirl%20sm.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 1,277

ReefVan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D Merkur,

I've read posts about others who have tried to remove that fitting, quite often they end up breaking the rotating return pipe assembly. :cry:

I would contact the manufacturer, if the unit is new, and request a fitting swap if possible or a different unit.

If the unit is used, and no longer on warranty then you might, very carefully, cut the old fitting off with a Dremel. This would imply making a cut down each side and across the top of the fitting, then splitting it in half and removing it. Take care not to damage the threads on the unit itself.

Only problem might be putting a new fitting on, it requires you to force the pipe like when you had to remove it. Be careful and don't forget the teflon tape, otherwise it'll leak and be super hard to install.

I would still try contacting the manufacturer first though.

Van 8)

Merkur

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah its a couple years old... i'd hate to screw up the stupid overpriced machine! oh well, thanks for the answer; we'll give it a try after work i guess...

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From Sea-Swirl:

Attached are the instructions to change the inlet fitting.
You
would need to use a FPT x Slip as there are threads on the top of the
inlet
pipe .Be VERY CAREFUL not to twist the inner pipe you are holding with
the
channel locks, and DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN the new fitting, it should be
''snug"
with no play between the fitting and the box. .....Ed

INSTRUCTIONS TO CHANGE INLET FITTING

FIRST, REMOVE THE GRAY NUT ON THE BOTTOM USING A PAIR OF CHANNEL LOCKS OR PLIERS. YOU WILL NEED TO WRAP SOMETHING AROUND THE THREADS TO PREVENT DAMAGE, THEN HOLD THAT AREA WITH CHANNEL LOCKS OR PLIERS AND SPIN THE TOP OFF. REMOVE OLD TEFLON TAPE AND SILICONE SEALER. INSTALL NEW TEFLON TAPE AND SILICONE SEALER ON THREADS AND INSTALL YOUR NEW INLET FITTING. ( IF YOU ARE CHANGING DIRECTION OF YOUR INLET FITTING, TURN TO DIRECTION YOU DESIRE) JUST BE SURE YOU DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN. PUT GRAY NUT ON BOTTOM, USE A DROP OF CRAZY GLUE ON THE LAST THREAD TO PREVENT THE NUT FROM TURNING. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE CALL US. (570) 422-6755

HTH

ReefVan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D Good stuff Chris,

Advice direct from the manufacturer is the best way, glad they came back with a prompt reply. :)

Van 8)

mattboy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered 2 new sea-swirls (it looks like beans and rice for a while) and also want to hard plumb. I called the company, spoke to Ed, and he said that all the new ones are now being fitted with threaded PVC elbows instead of hose barbs. He also said that lots of people send their old sea-swirls back to him to get the barb off and plumbing on. So you could do that if you have any problem.

FWIW, my impression of Ed, who I guess is the owner of the company, is that the guy realizes his product is fairly expensive and is happy to provide a good level of customer service.

Matt

Merkur

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for bringing this thread to the top. i should mention that i followed the directions above and fitted a threaded elbow with 0 problems. it was a no-brainer now that i know how to do it.

note: correction, i have a 1" sea-swirl not a 3/4", but i don't think it matters.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: