• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jonovan02

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any experience using an x10 controler for their aquarium (to control lights, pumps, etc.)?

What is x10? Here: http://www.x10.com/automation/timerkit_1deal_a.htm

These things are dirt cheap, compared to controlers marketed for aquarium use.

I really wanted to use one to program my lighting (on/off and dimming for dawn/dusk effect, moonlights). Any tips on installation? How would I hook this thingy up? How do I program it?

Robin Goodfellow

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi.
Do a search here or at RAMR and other website (google, etc.) should yield you more information that any of us can say in a page. X10 is used frequently (about half of people that use controller use X10-based modules) in the hobby, as well as home automation.

All X-10 based device work by sending signal thru the 110VAC line. This is how the controller "talks" to the module. Installation is typically plug the module in the wall outlet, and push a couple buttons on the controller. However, because the communication line is not delicated, in some instances, interference (EMI) may make it difficult to troubleshoot.

jonovan02

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Robin Goodfellow":1aupneuu said:
hi.
Do a search here or at RAMR and other website (google, etc.) should yield you more information that any of us can say in a page.

Thanks RG,
I found some great posts on reef central about x10. very informative. I think I'll go x10. It's slightly cheaper than buying 6 intermatic digital timers (for lights).

TheCurriculum

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used x10 products for over 3 years now
I have my office wired with it and some of my home
I use the firecracker enterface and drive it with the PC
you can get tech'e and write macros and little apps to drive your setup
and nope I don't work for them or get a cut...
but if you sign up for their mailers you can get their stuff cheap (spam mail so use a free account .. they don't spam others products but they send daily)
You will find deals spend 20 bucks free shipping and get 3 lamp modules for a buck

Store price on my work setup is around 200 bucks
I've spent about 50

Hope you like and have fun ... btw their are knock offs for cheaper if you can find them ... never used them so I don't know if thier any good

jonovan02

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TheCurriculum":e1h348i6 said:
Hope you like and have fun ...

Thanks! :D

I couldn't help it. I went ahead and bought a small setup for my lighting system. They have some pretty good deals, I came across this one:

$15 off your order at www.x10.com-

http://www.x10.com/friends/refer.cgi?IO ... [[email protected]][email protected][/email]

Just wanted to throw this out in case anyone wants to use it. I saved a lot.

I used this coupon to buy my components today:

-3 Appliance Modules (Buy 2 get 1 free... $27 something)
-Firecracker Kit (which includes transceiver, remote, computer port thingy, and a light module.. $19.99)

With the $15 off my total came out to about $38!

They are always having sales on different components (I heard it changes everyday?) and you can combine this coupon with some of their sale/blowout/clearance items. I did.

That is MUCH,MUCH cheaper than buying 4-5 digital (Home Depot) timers at more than $10 a pop.

Can't wait to hook em up to my lights. =)

jonovan02

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now programming...

Any suggestions on good programs. I've seen the eLightMaster site. Nice. Are there any others out there that are comparable?

TheCurriculum

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went and wrote my own controller out of vb and c# for what I was doing
but to get a basic understanding of a computer controller
check out this site http://www.x10-beta.com/ActiveHome/

I used an old version that came with the firecracker or one of those setups a few years back....to long for me to remember which one was which

Got techy \ bored \ lackofsleep \ stupidity \ DIY project that turned into a nightmare :evil: but I had to do it myself .. learning experience to say the least

I recommend using an already setup program.. I haven't tried the one you mentioned, but their are quite a few available apps you can use... have fun with it

and yes the x-10 deals change about every 2 days..... For cheap stuff it runs a long long time... I have a lamp module that has been running for over 2 years non stop (@work I fad in\out my overhead light everyday throughout the day depending on what I am doing)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: