• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

JD'sReef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey yall
I have a 46bow reef tank going right now and I was woundering what type of lighting i should use. I have a 36inch Hamilton with a 175 5.5k MH and two atinic florcesents. From what I have been reading the 5.5 k is just a cheep bulb to get into the MH sysem. What spectrum should i use keeping in mind that I have the twin Antics for color and a dusk dawn effect.

Also, has anyone ever re-wired a Hamilton hood before. I already want to upgrade to twin 175's one on each side and I just wanted to know how hard it was. It think it will be as easy as running some wires, but I want to hook up another fan but somehow splice it into the MH power switch.

Thanks guys (and gals) :wink:
J.

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak to how to wire up your Hamilton hood as I've never owned one.

Personally I think you're fine using a 5.5k halide along w/ the actinics. The look might be slighly yellow, but personally it's never bothered me. The coral should grow fine under it and IIRC Dana Riddle did some work a while back and was able to grow coral just fine under bulbs that were 4k.

What coral do you want to keep?

Shane

JD'sReef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks shane
Right now I just have a variety of mushroom corlas, some polyps and a new piect that I have no idea as to what it is. They look like little green x-mass trees or palm trees. They have one stock with for or five florcesent brancehs comming out of the top. My brother got it on a trade but he forgot the name. I really want a buble tip anemone, but I need to wait untill the tank is established, so untill then I need to keep the corals to a minium. Do agree that there should be little or no corals in a tank when you add an anemone? I still have my 29 up and running and will be taking out the live sand soon, but how long should I wait.

Thanks for the help Shane.

Jason

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: