• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I have a thread in the sump about building a Koi pond. Well, now I have unearthed what appears to be the sewer line to my house. It's smack dab in the middle of where I want to build my pond.

Any plumbers out there? Any advice on how to move this? I understand the crap flows down hill. Is there more to it than that?

How can you cut into this line in a sanitary way? This looks like a nasty job!

Louey

Attachments

• dscn5172.jpg
    dscn5172.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 5,889
A

Anonymous

I'm no expert but dont you just have to shut it off then cut, re route it towards the side of your house (next to the wall and out of your way). It's just PVC it can't be to difficult, but then again I've never done it before. My landlord at one of my past residences who I might add was almost as bright as a 15w lightbulb did something very similar. Perhaps I don't give him enough credit or maybe he had experience in the sewer industry. Regardless I'm sure it isn't rocket science. Just alot of nasty crap :lol: and alot of rain or shine pvc adhesive. I would think about flushing your line abit before you cut into it though like maybe flush several times at least :lol:.

hdtran

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's codes and such about pitch (so many fractions of inches per foot running downhill), number of bends, and how sharp a bend you can take.

Unfortunately, better have a professional plumber do this relocation for you, or get friendly with the building inspection people... I'm not sure whether or not a building permit would be necessary for moving the main sewer line, but I have a feeling that it is.

Carpentersreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow Louey, it's easy to tell that you live in a warm climate!
I recently had to move a section of sewer pipe in order to accomodate a basement addition that I was doing - our pipes here have to be 8 feet underground!

hdtran is right, there are limits on bends, cleanouts and slope. Get a professional plumber, and you really should get a permit.

Mitch

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to relocate this darn thing myself. I imagine a professional would charge me an arm and a leg to do this with all the permitting and inspections.

I would think that for $30 - $50 in pipe and fittings and an hour or two's work, I'll have this done with no problems. I will follow the same slope that the pipe follows now and just add a couple of 45's to kick the pipe out of the way. I'll put the waterfall over the pipe that is still in the corner, so it won't be in the way anymore.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea Mitch! I should have thought of that.

No second floor :P

Louey

Mogo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I relocated a part of mine under the house. No big deal but read hdtrans post again. IME if its a DIY then more pitch is better than less and as straight a line as possible. How about adding a waste line/valve from your pond while you're at it? Although you might never need it, it could be a water change thing.

Fl_Seagull

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't change the pitch!!! If the pitch is too high the water runs away from the solids and the the pipe will clog. If the the pitch is too low then nothing flows.

The biggest problem I have found with working with sewer pipe is it is far easier to replace a long run than to replace a short section. Many of the tricks used with small pipe diameters (unions and sliding pipe splices) are not widely available and if found are very expensive.

In addition, 4" sewer pipe just doesn't bend like 1/2" PVC :lol: .

das75

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should still look into a permit and inspection if you do it yourself. It's a cheap piece of mind. Ask the permit office your questions and they'll explain the code etc..

DOGMAI

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are killing me with "pitch". Is this sewer line on a boat? It is called slope. If you go down to your city hall they have drawings and specifications for how a sewer line needs to be run. I think that getting a permit to move a sewer line is a waste of money. As long as you get the specs. and do it to spec. you will be fine.

Carpentersreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slope, pitch, whatever... :wink: .

...but advocating "permits aren't needed" is foolish.

I always shake my head when people think that they can "get away" without permits.
Yes, you might be able to do the work without getting a permit,
and yes, you might be able to get the inspector to overlook something, but in the end it's the faceless future insurance agent that makes the final call as to whether your propety damage claim is honoured or not, if anything should go wrong.

Mitch

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wound up paying a plumber to do the job for me. I did all of the excavations to help minimize the cost, which turned out to be $300. The plumber did not pull a permit. I have no idea if he should have or not.

Louey

DOGMAI

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am an inspector of such types of jobs, usually only new installs. Subdivision type work. Pretty much unless you live in a strict city most of them wont make you get a permit to move a sewer line. That does not mean they wont sell you one. Do you have to get one to put in a sprinkler system? Would you even consider it? I would hope not. I am in the process of doing the same thing myself. I have a friend that works for the city and he says that as long as your on your property you can do what you like with your sewer line and water line. If you get into the city right of way then your asking for trouble.

Shane

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: