• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

tangir1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not really related to the thread, but I used to own a business, and the City came over one day, did some diagnoistic with dye/coloring, and ask me to move my sewer line to the right pipe... appearing, it was attached to someone else's water main down the street, or something... no fine, but it was close...

DOGMAI

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your sewer line was prolly too close to your water line. If your sewer line was attached to a water main your house would have been flooded before you even knew what happened. Sewer lines usually need to be at least 5’ from water lines.

Shane

DOGMAI

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your sewer line was prolly too close to your water line. If your sewer line was attached to a water main your house would have been flooded before you even knew what happened. Sewer lines usually need to be at least 5’ from water lines.

Shane

tangir1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are right. The pressure of the main should made my drain like an oil well, you know. I think the sewer line was attached to the storm drain that discharge into the beach down the street (I lived/worked about 50 feet from the Long Island Sound).

Carpentersreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a bit of comparison, we have our sewer and water lines right beside each other.....8 feet below grade.
You so much as touch it, you need an inspection. :wink:
......who wants to dig an 8 foot trench twice?

Here's one reno I did last summer:

DSCN4009%20copy.JPG

DSCN4020%20copy.JPG

That's not me, btw...that's a young pup I hired. The majority of the digging was with an excavator.
The "slope" starts from there and continues out to meet the city lines at 1/4"/ft.

Mitch :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is a funny thread.
most codes apply differently state to state. here in Oregon the homeowner can do whatever he likes to his property so long as it doesn't require a building permit. a plumbing contractor must be liscensed as both a plumber and a contractor and plumbing permits only have to be filed if a job reaches a particular price.
if i were to disagree with any of you on the permit requirements for your area i would be talking out me butt as i don't have a clue as to what they are in Florida, Long Island, etc.

that fella in the ditch must be pretty young... the wiser of us here in Portland would not set foot in that grave 8O
i myself have been in a deep ditch when it caved in and it was pretty frightening.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: