• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

MI0706

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of building a plexiglass sump for my 55g. I have all my pieces cut. Used garf.org recommendations on putting it together...

Here is my question... When I was putting it together, some of the acrylic/plexiglass cement ran out of one of the seems and down the inside of the tank... How can I remove this?!? I really don't care about looks, considering it is a sump and will be hidden... I'm only concerned about pumping toxic chemicals back into my tank from the cement residue...

Thanks for the help...

taikonaut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the cement dries, it leaves nothing behind because it is basically acrylic dissolved in some highly volatile liquid. Whatever you see is just evaporated acrylic, and nothing toxic.

So make sure you let it dry for a day or two, and both you and your critters will be fine as long as you don't breath too much of the cement in your lung.

MI0706

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya... the fumes are terrible... Nothing like breathing that cement and silicone fumes combined...

I went ahead and put a layer of aquarium safe silicone along the seams to make sure I have a good seal...

Thanks for the reply...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a note, but silicone doesn't stick too well to acrylic, like it does to glass.

when I build acrylic boxes, I wait untill the seams are dry, and then run another squirt of glue around all the seams. That seems to fill all the spots I missed the first time.

HTH
B

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: