• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Ralphyhp

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, did anybody knows what can i use to drill on a acrilyc sump a 1 3/4 hold for a 1" bulkhead and a 2 3/8 hold for a 1 1/2 bulkhead and where i can find it. This is to set up a 600 ETSS skimmer. Thanks in advance, Ralphy.

hdtran

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a hole saw. Available at most hardware stores.

If you want to go mail order, Harbor Freight Tools (don't know the web site, do a search either on the web or on this forum) has pretty inexpensive tools.

hdtran

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should work.

Clamp a piece of wood behind your work (if you're really obsessive, clamp a piece both in front and behind your work) before you drill, to prevent chipout as you break through the acrylic. Something thin, 1/4" scrap would do the trick.

Best of luck!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wood hole saws on acrylic? Are you sure? I thought the teeth were too big.

In any case, use high rpms and low pressure to drill it.

eddi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be sure not to stop once you start drilling the hole. Acrylic binds easily and it could fuse itself onto your blade. Apply firm but not excessive, constant pressure.

Clamping something behind the hole is a very good idea and highly recommended.

Eddi

Acrylics

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt_Wandell":2b5qy8mw said:
Wood hole saws on acrylic? Are you sure? I thought the teeth were too big.

In any case, use high rpms and low pressure to drill it.
Standard Bi-Metal hole saws work just fine on acrylic. I usually recommend folks "clear" chips out often. Do this by drilling and pulling the drill out while still running then start drilling again. When clearing chips, it is also a good idea to lubricate the drill by squirting lubricant into the slot made by the hole saw, a 50/50 combination of Palmolive + water works very well and is water soluble for easy clean-up.
Lubricating liberally will lower the heat build-up which will produce less "slag" and also lessen residual stress so the tendency to craze will be lower.
As previously mentioned, use of a backer piece is also recommended, you can easily do this by double faced taping something (wood, acrylic) on the back side of your hole location. This will help eliminate "chip out" on the back side of the cut as well as making the piece more rigid so it doesn't vibrate as much. I recommend double faced tape simply because it can be tough to clamp things on the back sometimes. If you can clamp it back there, go for it. :)

HTH,
James

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
James,
From your name I'm guessing you're the guy to talk to about this kind of stuff! What do you do for a living?

The folks at my local TAP plastics suggested I use a Forstner bit when I drill acrylic. I did and it worked fine. I drilled about 10 different 1.75" holes. However, most folks here suggested I use a hole saw, which seems to work fine too. Any idea why they suggested these? They actually suggested I buy them from a different store (harbor freight tools), so it wasn't like they were just trying to sell me something expensive.

Acrylics

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt_Wandell":c08f1wtd said:
From your name I'm guessing you're the guy to talk to about this kind of stuff! What do you do for a living?
I build aquarium and museum exhibits

The folks at my local TAP plastics suggested I use a Forstner bit when I drill acrylic. I did and it worked fine. I drilled about 10 different 1.75" holes. However, most folks here suggested I use a hole saw, which seems to work fine too. Any idea why they suggested these? They actually suggested I buy them from a different store (harbor freight tools), so it wasn't like they were just trying to sell me something expensive.
Most folks won't have 1.75" Forstner bits laying around nor does Home Depot cary them AFAIK. But hole saws are common and available at most hardware stores, so in this sense they are simpler to find - thus simpler to get the job done.
IIRC, Tap doesn't carry anything larger than 1.5" Forstners anyway, so they'd be hard pressed to sell them :)
Personally, I don't like either, but that's just me :) For bulkhead sizes through 6", I have templates that I use routers with to make holes - to me they are faster and produce cleaner holes. Plus many bulkheads require holes sizes that hole saws are simply not available in, this is where routers and templates are very handy.

James

Ralphyhp

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. Excuse me but Reefs.org not notify me when i have been replied for somebody. On this thread the last reply that i receive was from Matt_Wandell. Whats going on.

Ralphyhp

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i already drill the sump, i used a hold saw from Home depot. Im waitting for the hold saw that i order from Harbor freights tools . My brother help me to do the job cus he works for Otis Elevators as a technician and he knows how to handle this tools. No leaks everything fine. Thanks for the help. Here some pics.

Attachments

• picture 009.jpg
    picture 009.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 2,299
  • picture 007.jpg
    picture 007.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 2,300
  • picture 006.jpg
    picture 006.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 2,303

valid

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[quote/]For bulkhead sizes through 6", I have templates that I use routers with to make holes - to me they are faster and produce cleaner holes. Plus many bulkheads require holes sizes that hole saws are simply not available in, this is where routers and templates are very handy.

James[/quote]

james -

please describe your templates and how you make them - i might try this myself.

tia

-reid

Acrylics

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
valid":392jlwyx said:
please describe your templates and how you make them - i might try this myself.
Reid,
There are numerous ways, if you have a milling machine and a rotary table - that's one and prolly the best
The simplest is to take various peices of acrylic tube and glue them to flat pieces of acrylic and route out the center. Eg., If you take a small 1/2" - 1" length of 2" OD tube (1/8" wall) and glue it to a flat piece of acrylic (thickness is irrelevant) and route out the center - you now have a 1.75" hole - just the size for a 1" bulkhead. If you take this hole and use various rabbett bits and bearings - you can make virtually any size hole you want. Simple & easy, find small chunks of tube at your local plastic shop's scrap bin :)

HTH,
James

Acrylics

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
valid":hy1lo61d said:
thanks a bunch. i'll be making 3.25" holes.
-reid
Lemme guess, 1 1/2" bulkheads? :)
If you can find a piece of 3 1/2" tube with 1/8" wall.
If this is the case, you may wish to actually measure the tailstock of the bulkead, it is not at all uncommon for them to measure closer to 3 5/16 - 3 3/8", in which case you'll have to use a different sized hole.

HTH,
James

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: