• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

fishymike

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading many posts about which paint to use for painting the inside of my hood, I went to Home Depot and got a can of Rust-Oleum Marine Coatings Topside Paint. I wanted to make sure this was ok to use for painting my hood. It also mentions UV protection on the can.

The hood is a couple years old and is starting to show some water damage, so I need something to protect the wood. I am also interested in the reflective qualities of painting the inside of the hood white.

Thanks for your replies,

Mike

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only concern I'd have with a marine coating is that they sometimes add anti-fouling agents to the coating to keep things from growing on it. While that's good for the paint, if a chip drops into your tank, the anti-fouling agent could leach out into your tank water and do some serious damage. Check w/ the paint manufacturer to make certain.

Shane

fishymike

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I sent an email to RustOleum to make sure. Hopefully I will hear back soon.

Thanks again!

fishymike

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just incase anyone is searching threads for painting their hood I figured I would post my response that I got from Rust-Oleum about their top side paint. Here it is:

Mike-
The topside paints have no anti-fouling agents. They are essentially the same as paints that have been used for years to paint birdcages. As long as the paint has a chance to dry before you put the tank back together and the painted surfaces don't go underwater (the Marine Topside Paints aren't rated for immersion) there should be no transfer of chemicals into the water. You will need to clean the surface every so often to prevent mold growth, since it will probably be very humid above the water.

So there we have it. Thanks for everyones responses.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: