• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Alright I'm thinking of painting the inside of my custom canopy for my MH's a flat white for reflection purposes. Do any of you have any ideas on what I should do about painting my canopy in general. I don't want to eradicate my reef dwellers by using something I shouldn't. I'm planning to paint my canopy a satin Black on the outside and primer white on the inside. Yes or no on these? Any suggestion on types of paint to use?

A

Anonymous

So I'm guessing that a white primer coat will work fine and the satin/semi-gloss black on the outside is totally copasthetic.

A

Anonymous

here's some pics of me hood. tell me what cha think. Keep in mind it's only half finished.

Attachments

• hood 1.jpg
    hood 1.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 2,108
  • hood 2.jpg
    hood 2.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 2,111
  • hood 3.jpg
    hood 3.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 2,107

Mogo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Flecto Varathane Colours in Plastic plastic enamel- melamine- black. Problem is I don't see this paint on flecto's website (www.flecto.com). They may have changed the name of it to a Rustoleum product? Worth an inquiry IMO.

Any rate, an excellent and durable paint. The can in front of me says "interior exterior and marine". I think this stuff cures to non-toxic.

Maybe use white gloss inside to increase reflectivity. I would use a wood seal then 3 coats for everything.

Any thoughts of installing a fan or 2?. It's gonna get hot.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'm getting two 3" cpu fans on the sides (hole not cut yet). Also I'm gonna rig a nice 8" behind the tank if it is ever needed cause it gets hot down here in the summer time.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I decided on two 5" fans and It is almost at the final stage. I just have to figure out how to keep my lid and door open now? :?: :?: :?

Attachments

• canopy.jpg
    canopy.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 2,058
  • canopy1.jpg
    canopy1.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 2,061
  • canopy2.jpg
    canopy2.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 2,060
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HERE'S SOME MORE

Attachments

• canopy3.jpg
    canopy3.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 2,054
  • canopy4.jpg
    canopy4.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 2,059
  • canopy5.jpg
    canopy5.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 2,056
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now if anybody has any Ideas whatsoever please let me know. I don't have a terrible amount of room inside the canopy and I don't want to risk damaging my lights (MH's mainly). I need supports for my lid and front door. Thanks,

John

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thanks for the link bingo I owe ya one. I really like the lift-o-mat gas springs for the front and the toy box or heav duty soft down lid supports. Thanks again,

john

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bro is your basement still cluttered?

Anyway, nice job on the canopy, your wiff must be proud.

I like the lift-o-mat gas springs for the front also, but I would go with the toy box lid supports instead of the heavy duty soft down lid supports. First they look less obtrusive, plus if they are bad, you are only out $7.98 plus tax and shipping.

I also like the self-balancing lid supports, however they may not be practical, as they might take to much space.

J

Aquadude

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a sweet canopy you built. Have you thought of using a piece of aluminum heat duct for better reflection? You can get them at any home improvement centre. They come with a slight curve to them, all you would need to do is take some tin snips and cut it to the right length and place it behind your lamps. I painted my hood with a gloss enamel (Tremclad) and now after 4 years the paint is starting to turn grey where the lamps are. I could re-paint but I thought I might try the aluminum reflector first. Just my $.02 :)

Sprattoo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im envious.. I really would have liked a hood like this one you have made. Great Job.

I just built a box with a retrofit kit and hanged it over my open tank.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Niiiiiice Dragoon! Wish I had built one like that! :wink:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: