• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

EDKHosting

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Materials required are:
Dremmel of some brand
2 dremmel bits #7134 and #7103
paper towel or tissues
scotch tape
a spray bottle with the pump handles like some bathroom cleaning stuff comes with(but buy one that is clean don't use an empty cleaning bottle)
sharpie marker
and the bulkhead you are using (I used a 1" bulkhead)

Additional notes:
You might have to buy a new collet for your dremmel to fit the small shaft of the drill pieces but I just wrapped scoth tape around the end of it till it was tight in the dremmel tool.

How I did it:

I first got everything I'd need together in one spot.

http://ratemytank.org/tankdrill/DCP02004.JPG

take the gasket from the bulkhead and trace the inside circle onto the glass. then take the round tipped bit and start in the middle and move the dremmel around like you are making a tiny circle, this will help incase the dremmel bend. If you bend the dremmel since the hole is bigger then the bit you won't crack the glass.

http://ratemytank.org/tankdrill/DCP02005.JPG

Keep going till you go all the way through making sure you spay water on the bit with the spray bottle.
http://ratemytank.org/tankdrill/DCP02006.JPG

Once the hole has been made switch to the tapered dremmel bit. Start in the hole and work upwards pushing and pulling the dremmel in and out of the hole moving it about 1/4 an inch in each direction but make sure you spay it with water. After getting to the top of the circle you made with the sharpie use the marker as a guide and cut through the marker with the drill bit. Make sure you tape some tissue or paper towel to catch the wate rthat is running down the side of the tank from cooling the bit down.
http://ratemyfishtank.com/tankdrill/DCP02008.JPG

Keep working your way arounf the tank.
http://ratemytank.org/tankdrill/DCP02010.JPG

When you get to the top be careful and don't push as hard, do it slowly and just apply as little pressure as possible and it will pop out.
http://ratemyfishtank.com/tankdrill/DCP02011.JPG

Bulkhead installed
http://ratemytank.org/tankdrill/DCP02012.JPG

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't looked at your pictures, in part because I don't think a single one shows those big brass cojones it takes to drill a full tank! My friend, you have stones I sure don't. 8O But.. what made you think of it, and how did you come up with your plan?

Off to check the piccies now..

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, ok.. this pic just HAD to have a caption:
DUDE! What are you doing? <Then, one fish to the other fish> Check it out, man, look what he's doing! DUDE, do you know what you're doing? :lol: :lol: :lol:
DCP02005.JPG

Just the looks on their faces alone.. good chuckles. Looks like it worked out just cherry, though. I don't think I'd have the nerve to keep a tank of any size next to my precious rockin' box, though. I worked too damned hard building it!

hfmann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey EDK,

Is this a glass tank? Man if so, that is absolutely incredbily tremendous! How long did it take you to do this? I've tried glass drilling with very slow diamond hole saws and never had any luck. The holes eventually cracked.

Hal

EDKHosting

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hfmann":2fv7c47t said:
Hey EDK,

Is this a glass tank? Man if so, that is absolutely incredbily tremendous! How long did it take you to do this? I've tried glass drilling with very slow diamond hole saws and never had any luck. The holes eventually cracked.

Hal

yeah it was glass, I went slow and it took about 30 mins from start to finish

hfmann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's just outstanding EDK! I'm going to run out and get the Dremel bits and give this a shot. (on an empty tank though :) ) After several failed attempts on glass tanks, I gave up and made an acrylic refugium. Now with your method I'll try it again.

Would you clarify this for me? I don't understand what you mean.

take the round tipped bit and start in the middle and move the dremmel around like you are making a tiny circle, this will help incase the dremmel bend. If you bend the dremmel since the hole is bigger then the bit you won't crack the glass.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Hal

EDKHosting

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hfmann":26xmwxpz said:
That's just outstanding EDK! I'm going to run out and get the Dremel bits and give this a shot. (on an empty tank though :) ) After several failed attempts on glass tanks, I gave up and made an acrylic refugium. Now with your method I'll try it again.

Would you clarify this for me? I don't understand what you mean.

take the round tipped bit and start in the middle and move the dremmel around like you are making a tiny circle, this will help incase the dremmel bend. If you bend the dremmel since the hole is bigger then the bit you won't crack the glass.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Hal

Ok instead of just putting the drill bit in one place move it in a circle like you are taking a pencil and making a circle the size of an eraser head. What you are doing is basically making a hole bigger then the drill bit itself. Imagine drilling a piece of wood on a press, the hole is the same size of the drill bit, if you pick the board up and lift a side it will catch and crack the board or it will fuze to the drill bit and spin on it. Same with glass since the dremmel is not on a press so when first making the hole move your bit in a small cirlce about 2 times the dia of the bit so if you accidently angle the dremmel it won't creack the glass.

Attachments

• untitled.gif
    untitled.gif
    5 KB · Views: 4,155

EDKHosting

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reefann":1pe6ip6p said:
Very cool are you going to put a box in front of that to keep your clowns from ending up in the sump?
Once again very cool
JJ

They already did along with a shrimp and algae blenny lol. i just took a 90 deg elboy and cut slots in it and screwed it in and it overflows into it now.

radar!

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what an awesome idea! would it make a difference if the glass is tempered of not? was the glass you "drilled" tempered? just wondering.
cool.

EDKHosting

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
radar!":29tssw2m said:
what an awesome idea! would it make a difference if the glass is tempered of not? was the glass you "drilled" tempered? just wondering.
cool.

YES DO NOT DRILL TEMPERED GLASS

tempered glass shatters cause it is tempered, tempered glass breaks into a thousand tiny bits, not a good thing, usually only the bottom of tanks are tempered.

Mogo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I just printed your original post for future reference. I also just put in an application to Santa Claus for a dremel. Hmm... have I been a good boy all year? Damn.:D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seamaiden":10xib2ks said:
I haven't looked at your pictures, in part because I don't think a single one shows those big brass cojones it takes to drill a full tank!

Brass is far too maleable for this dude SM!

Kudos!

And no, mine aren't that tough though I wish they were! :lol:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: