• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't want to build a new one. I basically went off the instructions on the GARF web site. When the tank is on the stand one corner of the tank sticks up. I dont know why? Must not be level .....

Attachments

• cornerstand.jpg
    cornerstand.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 779
  • stand.jpg
    stand.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 778

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW I know the carpet is nasty!

I am not much of a builder so it was the best I could do.
It is 40" tall, 72" long and 18" wide for a 150 gl tank.

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The corners aren't square with one another. One thing I've seen people do is put 1/2" styrofoam between the tank and the stand to help "even out" parts of the stand that aren't square. You might also try putting a little bit of a shim under the foam in that corner too to help things out.

Shane

grav

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow.

That looks very nice, but I must agree with Liquid... not square, and you are off level.

If it was a 10 or 20g I'd say go with foam and, or a shim, but I think you should try to shave down the high corners. Get your self a good wood file for $12.

As a man that has had 55g of water on his floor due to a DIY stand, to a man that COULD have 150g on his floor, let me say this: Take pics of that rug now, cuz it could get a whole lot worse.

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant give up on this stand, my wife would kill me. I spent about 100$ on it and then started to order stuff from MD for it so I really want to get it going. I think I will try to level the stand with shims from under the bottom, then the styrafoam and shims under that as needed.

That will make it look goofy though so maybe I will add a rim made of 1x3's to covor the edge of the tank so you cant see the foam or anything.

Thanks for the ideas!

troutwood

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey,

I am brand new to this site and to saltwater aquariums, but I am an expert builder, to be exact I am a furniture and cabinetry teacher. give me an email and i will help you straighten out that tank.

troutwood

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey,

I am brand new to this site and to saltwater aquariums, but I am an expert builder, to be exact I am a furniture and cabinetry teacher. give me an email and i will help you straighten out that tank.

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Troutwood I sent you an email!

I shaved down the high edges. Then leveled the tank stand uing shims. I put the tank on the stand and it was perfectly level but there is still a small gap. Then I used small pieces of shims to fill in the edges where the was still a slight gap.

I dont know I dont want this thing to break and hurt me or my family. I am thinking of filling it now to see if it is ok. Mybe I will fill it halfway to see what happens.

What do you think?

Is this crazy?

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Troutwood I sent you an email!

I shaved down the high edges. Then leveled the tank stand uing shims. I put the tank on the stand and it was perfectly level but there is still a small gap. Then I used small pieces of shims to fill in the edges where the was still a slight gap.

I dont know I dont want this thing to break and hurt me or my family. I am thinking of filling it now to see if it is ok. Mybe I will fill it halfway to see what happens.

What do you think?

Is this crazy?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: