• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rudy

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi1 I wish to make a DIY sump in the next several weeks. Which would be the best alternative for me with regard to materials?

Plex/acrylic custom
Glass tank with added baffles, etc.
Large Rubbermaid like bin with additions.

usafresq1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for DIY I like cheap and easy, I would use a large rubber maid container and then to house filter media and live rock get some of those stackable plastic "shelves" that will fit into the rubbermaid Bin and have the return pump somewhere in there. Its simple and cheap, but more importantly, it works.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the money and permanent I'd go glass with added baffles. Very versatil and more bang for the buck.

Fl_Seagull

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having just gone through this question with my own tank I found it to be more about comfort level than anything else. I actual setup three sumps, and decided that a 20 gal aquarium worked best for me.

I don't like working with acrylic but I am comfortable with working glass.

The Rubbermaid products just didn't fit well under my stand and I just didn't trust them for the long term since I have had them split in other applications. Granted those application involved heavy sharp objects :) .

Rudy

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fl_Seagull":1kais2k9 said:
I don't like working with acrylic but I am comfortable with working glass.

The Rubbermaid products just didn't fit well under my stand and I just didn't trust them for the long term since I have had them split in other applications. Granted those application involved heavy sharp objects :) .

I agree about the rubbermaid not fitting well under a stand. However, can you explain further how working with glass is easier than acrylic? I do plan to make my own custom sump, but would prefer to work with the easier, more user friendly, type (Glass versus Acrylic). I assume both are equally accessible, but glass must abe harder to cut, correct?

Please let me know your thoughts.

down&dirty

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just built my first sump just over a month ago and I went with a 20 gallon glass tank and then acrylic baffles. The acrylic didn't like the silicon but eventually I was able to get the baffles in place. In hind sight, I should have used glass for the baffles. Sure it is a little harder to cut than acrylic, but it is more rigid and easier to silicon into place. Put lots of thought into the baffles. Mine help but don't do the job 100%. The real issue is flow rate through the baffle. Cutting glass is not a difficult process, just invest in a nice glass cutter and be patient. Make a clean single pass to score the glass and then I use the edge of a countertop to make the break. Very rarely does this give me problems. I should have thought about this before I built my sump, but I am in the process of moving up to a larger sump. Not even 2 months old and I am already replacing the thing.

Fl_Seagull

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find glass easier to work with because I once made stainglass and am very comfortable with cutting glass. I also have a glass grinder so shaving off a 1mm or 2 is not a big problem.

If I had a table saw and the proper blades I would likely use acrylic. If I need acrylic work done I have the local plastic shop make it for me. Labor runs about the same as the material cost.

As far as cutting glass, be sure to dip your glass cutter in oil (Veg oil is fine for fish tanks) and make a single pass starting and stopping just before the edge. Don't try to cut 12mm (1/2") glass. even most shops don't cut it. If you want to use glass, most glass shops will cut the glass and seam it for a fee. You will want the glass square seamed. Raw cut glass has a razor sharp edge. Some glass shops will not sell you unseamed glass.

One trick is to silicone a strip of glass to the sides of the fish tank and then install your baffle against these stops. That way your baffle doesn't need to be as tight of fit. Glass strips can also be used to space the baffle off the bottom of the aquarium.

down&dirty

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I wish I would have thought about the strips of glass to help make the fit easier. That would have kept me using glass rather than acrylic.

Rudy

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fl_Seagull":2f7cxsm6 said:
If I had a table saw and the proper blades I would likely use acrylic.

Well I am fortunate enough to have a table saw, albeit old, and the blades for cutting acrylic are only $5-10 at home depot. Thus, I think I'll go with acrylic. I'll be sure to keep this thread posted of my progress. I am just completing my stand (DIY) now and will post pics of the progress if anyone is interested?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: