• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

cdeakle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought/recieved a used sump from a fellow reefer here on reefs.org. It was a DIY sump he made, not the prettiest thing ever made but def better than I prob would have made.

I just cleaned it and my question is this:

Should I reseal the joints with acrylic cement to be on the safe side? I was thinking that it couldn't hurt but to only help.

Also I will post pics later to see what you think about his design.

-puff

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I'd just test it for leaks, and not reglue it if there aren't any leaks.

cdeakle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len,

I did find a leak and attempted to repair it. I will water test tonight when I get home.

If this used sump had one leak from the get go, even if I seal it shouldn't I be concerned about other leaks springing up on me?

Acrylics

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes to a point. Taka a good look at it, you'l be able to see any problems areas. Look for voids and large bubbles, not the little microbubbles, but ones that cover much of the joint. Thses are areas that are potential future problems and you should be proactive in taking care of.
BTW, has this sump been polished?

James

cdeakle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I resealed ALL major joints with the only sealent I could find in my area, marine goop. Anyone ever use this stuff with success?

Needless to say I'm tired of messing with it and I would be afraid to use it. Too bad because I spent 150 on it. I will recheck again tonight when I get home and hopefully I fixed it this time. If so Im gonna get rid of this sucker lol If not fixed I might just dump it, what a waste of money.

Acrylics,

I did finally find a place locally to get acrylic from and they will even cut for me, quite pricey though. If I wanted to buy a sheet of plexi it would still cost me around 150. Might be cheaper to just pay for a custom sump....

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
use some epoxy man it's not that expensive and it's awesome. Also make sure you let it cure for at least 24 hours prior to being used.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: