• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I was thinking about rasing the becket in my MR-2 skimmer so that the discharge side is out of the water. At the level I run my skimmer in the mixing chamber the becket itself would have water almost to the ball. Will having the discharge of the beckett increase performance any?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep it will. While pulling air in through the beckett, it will also pull air in from the water surface. more air=good.

B

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus it will give you more mixing height from the output of the beckett to the surface of the water.

Shane

dgasmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, let me ask you this and I hope I am not stealing your thread. It refers to improving prformance of a beckett skimmer liek your question is.

I have a beckett driven skimmer ran by an iwaki 100. The mixing chamber is 10" diamter and like 40" tall with a riser tube that is 6" diameter and like 12" tall. If I run the air wide open and the water level inside the chamber about 2/3 up, it makes the most skimmate. That is the level at which it is most efficient. I ahve played with it to no end and this is the peak point. If I raise the water level inside to run it wetter, the air bubbles collide with each other too much creating much bigger bubbles and so it makes less skimmate.

I figured since more air is always better, I would drill the top and run 2 hard lines to the bottom and put a total of 4 large air wooden stones driven by a pretty beefy air stone. That should improve foaming considerably I would think. Anyone see a problem with doing this??

Thanks,
Alberto

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whole point of using a beckett skimmer is to suck a huge amount of air into the mixing chamber using the beckett injector. If you can, I'd mess with lengthening the injection pipe (the section of the pipe between the beckett and where the flow enters the body of the skimmer) first before using the airstone mod. If you've gotta use an airstone mod on a beckett, there's something wrong IMO.

Shane

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did the same thing. After a year of messing with my MyReef MR-1 skimmer, I was ready to buy a new one.

I said one more chance.

I raised the skimmer up about 6 inches making the Gate vavle opening even with the water surface (couldn't go any higher).

After 4 days this skimmer had pulled out 3 external waste collector (WC-2) full of dark green skimmate.

3 weeks now and the skimmer is still pulling out junk.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not dis-pleased with my MR-2. I have been happy with the performance. After looking at the skimmer for a while one night I was just wondering if I could get just a bit more out of it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: