• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Playdope

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all... I'm gonna need to make a trip to pickup a bunch of seawater and I need to somehow find out how much I'll need to fill the following custom tanks:

Quantity

[8] 16" tall/10" front-back/24" long
[2] 12" tall/10.3" front-back/20.5" long
[1] 14.5" tall/12" front-back/15" long

Any of you able to help me find out exactly how many gals of total seawater I will need to fill all of those tanks. I'm looking for as precise a number as I could get.

Thanks,
Jon

hdtran

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Volume of water needed = volume of tank - volume of rockwork and sand displacing water.

Volume of tank (in gallons) = WxLxH (inside measure) in inches divided by 231 (231 cu. in. per gallon)

Archimedes says: No easy way to figure how much sand and rock displace water, because you don't know the specific gravity of sand and rock. But a guess at a SG of 2 isn't bad, so volume of water displaced by rock and sand is approximately (gallons) = weight of rock (in lb) / 16 (lb/gallon)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Playdope":2zgvg0b3 said:
Hi all... I'm gonna need to make a trip to pickup a bunch of seawater and I need to somehow find out how much I'll need to fill the following custom tanks:

Quantity

[8] 16" tall/10" front-back/24" long
[2] 12" tall/10.3" front-back/20.5" long
[1] 14.5" tall/12" front-back/15" long

Any of you able to help me find out exactly how many gals of total seawater I will need to fill all of those tanks. I'm looking for as precise a number as I could get.

Thanks,
Jon

Jon, find the total volume in inches (ie length x width x height) and divide by 231 to get the total gallons required.
so for the first one 16x10x24 = 3840 divide that by 231 = 16.6 gallons

Playdope

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[8] 16" tall/10" front-back/24" long = 132 gal
[2] 12" tall/10.3" front-back/20.5" long = 22 gal
[1] 14.5" tall/12" front-back/15" long = 11 gal
-----------
165 gal

Does that look right?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: