• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Jackson67451

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered 2 spider reflectors with quck disconnects for a PFO hqi ballast, which I am still waiting for the balast to come

I wired the fans and the mogul sockets using wire caps and electrical tape. I plan on mounting the connection to the back of the canopy so moisture does not hit it. Is this ok the way it is? Is there a better way this should be done?

Also, On the disconnect cable there was a green ground wire which I capped off. I emailed marinedepot about this and they said it was ok?
wiring001.jpg

wiring002.jpg

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks OK is right. I'd go ahead and make sure the electrical tape covers the whole wire nut.

Also, the green wire on the disconnect should go from the reflector to the ground wire in the ballast. that way any stray voltage will bleed of the ground, no through the tank. Also, that makes sure there's a ground wire by the light bulbs. (The item most likely to get wet/break in the whole lighting setup.)

Also, that Electrical tape is gonna get hot and sticky if it's too close to the lamps!

*instert standard "it's not my fault, blah,blah, blah" disclaimer here.*

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll second the WP butt splices.

I used standard butt splices on mine. Worked okay, but WP would be the best.

What you have done will work, but that tape is gonna get all gooey over time.

Louey

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: