• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

johns

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning out the design for a sump for my 75G reef ready. I want it to be big, adding a lot of water volume, but fairly simple in design (ie. everything in one tank, a few compartments with baffles, few or no bulkheards). I have some ideas already, but a few more questions first.

Is it considered acceptable to use flexible tubing for all the plumbing? Like even that clear 'airline' tubing (I think that's what it's called). I'd prefer not to do anything rigid at this point, because this is my first crack at this and things might change down the road.

When adding siliconed baffles next to each other (like one from the bottom up next to another off the bottom a bit) how close together should they be placed? Does it matter if they are very close? Also, do you need to put the silicone on both side of the glass plate? If so, does anyone know some good ways to get the silicone on between narrow spaces?

A possible protein skimmer I'm looking at is the Euroreef ES-52 or the ASM ER-G1. These both have a large footprint of about 9 X 9. With a skimmer of this size, is it ok to have a skimmer area about 10 or 11 X 12? These skimmers have a submersible pump attached. Do manufacturers include the size of these pumps in their footprint dimensions?

the return pump is one thing I havent researched at all. I dont even know what the overflow rating is for the tank, but assuming it between 500-700GPH, what sort of reliable, submersible, cool-running pump would you recommend. More impotantly, for now, approximately how big are they and what size return compartment would you think necessary for it? I've heard some names like Eheim, Sedra, Mag, Sens, but dont know what models to look at.

Once I get a few more answers, I'll post some more specifics on the design and hopefully you can give me some more advice.

john

imsqueak

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flex tubing is fine, dont use clear or you'll have to clean it all the time from algae. Get it from a spa/pool place for cheapest price.

Baffles should be about 1" or more appart. Too narrow will increase flow speed and micro bubbles will follow. I used plastic so I was able to drip WO#3 down the pieces.

Pumps: avoid Rios and the Mag 7 (restart on power outage doesnt work ~ from what I've heard. Mag 9.5 should almost match 700gph at 4' head. Matching is important because you dont want to throttle down the pump with T or gate valves.

If you going to diy the sump from scratch, I'd recommend plastic over glass for price and ease.

grizz99

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just got a 75 gal with a predrilled bottom and i was told that the mag 7 was right for this situation, was i sold the wrong pump for my job?

Juck

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mag5 as the return from the fuge on my 75g and it's worked fine so far (5 months),,,although it's a bit noisier than I'd like. We have lots of power outages down here and it starts up ok every time.

I'm only using 1/2" tubing,, which sends about 300gph through the fuge,,, I get most of my circulation through a closed loop. If you're using 3/4" tubing then the mag7 should be fine,, if you're using 1" then you may need something stronger, depending on the height of yout tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: