• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

FranklinP

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering way down the line a saltwater outdoor pond that will keep a few "hands on" critters for the kids to pick up and abuse. Star fish and urchins come to mind. My thoughts are that the lighting would be simply sun light from above. I could heat in the winter and maybe cool or shade in the summer. A small pool pump would circulate and one of many rubber maid containers could be a sump/filter. A DIY protein skimmer of large scale would be designed. I was thinking of the clear panels used in green houses to maybe put over it to keep out rain water in the summer. I cant find any info on this anywhere. I am trying to avoid a stinking pond full of green slime. Any thoughts? Anyone done this? Maybe 10ft by 20ft with a beach area tapering down to 3-4 ft deep was my plan. Thanks

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a GREAT idea! Circulation (outrageous) and filtration (equally outrageous) are going to be your keys to keeping it from becoming that stinking pond. A lot of folks would object to starfish being used, but they're used, along with urchins, in many California tidepool exhibits. Another creature that generated terrific excitement and curiousity are the common cleaner shrimps. Just choose animals that can actually handle these "rigors" (mine didn't suffer at all, though the kids couldn't touch my Linkia stars, I'd take them to the shop I worked at and let them have at it with chocolate chippies).

What info would you need regarding covering during the summertime? I think if you used the translucent covers (filtering out the harshest sun during those hours of 10-2) with something framed in an "A" would do just fine. As for materials for building this cover, I don't see why you couldn't use the piping used for greenhouses, or even good (pressure-treated, maybe?) lumber.

As for filtration specifically, I would definitely include large pool filtration. That would likely give you the best bang for your buck, then make the sump/'fuge an addendum on the side.

Let us know how your plans develop, and if you need a direction in which to search, just ask!

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FranklinP,
I think Danmhippo was going to try something similiar a while back... maybe a year or so. I think he was going to try to keep clams in it or something. I'm not sure what came of it, but if you do a search, you may be able to find something. HTH.

Arlan

taikonaut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Danm did that on a small scale, and he had plenty of hard time with it. AFAIK, he is MIA member of the RDOTF :)P), so do a search on his post would be helpful. There are a few relevant threads on this subject, one of them recently is the green house building thread on this forum. There are also a few members who did this... I can't remember the name... but one of them brought 4 tons of SouthDown sand with his little pickup truck in FL?

Fl_Seagull

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting project.

You might do a little looking at the idea of Swimming Ponds. Swimming Ponds are quite the rage in cooler climate (many Europe) but it doesn’t work right in Florida since it get so hot (water ends up with too high of bacteria count).

Here is one person’s project : http://www.kidsfromkanata.org/~KFK/files/swimmingpond.html

Yeah, I know it is overkill; but, the concept might be just right for your project; in short you would make a pond that incorporates a saltwater marsh to provide your biological filter. Alternately, this guy’s filter idea might also be good http://www.kilk.com/pond/

The issues of protection from excessive sun and of protection from birds are common to fresh water ponds. Looking for books on Koi ponds for “how to” might be a good start to answer these type of questions.

Ponds Magazine had a article in their Summer 2003 edition on a large scale DIY Skimmer (for 1000gal pond).

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I was thinking that he's going to have to have it protected fulltime, but I still think that it could be the shiznit.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PLAEEEEZE be careful using pressure treated lumber!!!
If any debris falls off into your water it will leach arsnic, and will be absorbed threw your skin as well.

FranklinP

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help everyone. FYI PT wood no longer contains arsenic. I was phased out completely last month.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: