• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Mihai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I'm building a nice return manifold that will have some 20 output when finished. However, I'd like to increase the speed of the water coming out of the exits, so I need to go from 3/4 to something smaller.

The right (and expensive!) thing to do would be to buy 20 flare nozzles:

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem. ... uct=LL1315

However, that would be about $110 + shipping. I was hoping to get them (much) cheaper than that: I thought that I can take the CPVC and heat it in boiling water and then press it into a nozzle. It turns out that boiling water is not hot enough (and I don't have a heat gun).

What's the next best thing? I don't really mind the shape - round is good, square is good. It just has to fit to a 3/4" CPVC and be cheap :).

Please don't give me the lecture about how expensive this hobby is.
I do not skimp on important things (tank, skimmer, LR), but this doeasn't mean that I want to buy everything retail.

Thanks for the help,
Mihai

tangir1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heating PVC-based plastic is very dangerous due to the type of chemicals released when overheated/burn. It can also be a fire hazard.

With that said, you can try to heat the plastic under a MH. Believe me, it is hotter than any heat gun you can buy ;)

There are a lot of way to bent thermo plastics, but I am relucent to say any on this board due to the reason above. Sorry.

But if you want to bend acrylic, I am sure a few dozen of people can give you good answers.

tangir1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue is the high back pressure when a cap is used. But I guess Mihai may not mind about his, since he is more concern about velocity then flow rate.

Mihai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'm fresh out of MH, but the PVC cap idea ROCKS.

See, I knew that it's good to post on the RDO. I banged my head yesterday for a few hours for a decent solution and the PVC cap is what I was looking for: it's neat, cheap, and lots of options regarding
opening size (posible to change it later), I can even do two-three openings in the cap.

Actually I will try to strike a balance between the velocity and flow rate: I don't want to add too much back presure, while I'm trying to have the "jets" reach the bottom of the tank and clean the rocks/detritus.

Thanks a lot guys, that's great.
Mihai

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my heat gun at HD for about $35. Add 15 or so 3/4" fittings,(about $.20 EACH) and you're still WELL under $110. *(and you get a heat gun in the end!)

HOWEVER, do the bending in a WELL VENTALATED area.

B

ryangill

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can submerge the pvc in boiling water for about 30sec and then squeeze the end with some pliers to make a flare.

Mihai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Negative. I left it there 10 minutes and still didn't bend. Actually it was CPVC but both on PVC and CPVC the presure rating and temperature are similar.

That's what I hoped that will work, but it doesn't.
M.

tangir1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mihai, you need something more that 100C/212F to soften the pipe. If it works, they won't use it on plumbing, would they?

Mihai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I know this from experience (although reading on the pipe it or logic should have suffice :oops: ). I was just trying to save ryan the trouble of trying the trick himself (and fail miserably :) )

All the best,
Mihai

Danno

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One way to heat PVC is to use cooking oil. Water has l lower boiling point than oil so it can only get to 212 and then it boils. Oil on the other hand can be heated to over 400. Just make sure there is no water on the pipe. Put about 3-4" of oil in a pan on the stove and heat. Be carefull not to over heat the oil(flame on!) 8O Use tongs to hold the PVC in the cooking oil till it softens then mold with a piece of wood before it hardens. I have used this method for making flairs for the ends of potato gun rockets ( dont ask) and it works fine. Just be carefull the PVC gets extreamly hot. Good luck.

tangir1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, do you throw the oil away afterward, save it for future project, or just pour it back into the bottle without telling your wife? 80

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Danno":18ya3k3i said:
I have used this method for making flairs for the ends of potato gun rockets ( dont ask)

Got any plans?

Had to ask!

B

Mihai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the oil tip, I'll try when the wife is in park with the kids :)

Regarding the "potatoe gun rockets": these three words in a DIY forum... it's impossible not to ask. Please, please... :).

M.

tangir1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just want everyone to know that you should *never* reuse the oil for human consumption after you do the procedure above. I am sure everyone knows.

In regard to the potatoe gun, maybe those that are interested should PM Danno... :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spud guns are fun :D , you could use barb fittings as your velocity nozzles

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: