• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

kvizena

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was curious if anyone had any input on a problem I ran into this weekend. My wife and I moved into a new house, so naturally I bought a new aquarium. :) I am using an old sump I have had for five years or so and a precision marine 4" skimmer. I got tired of all of the ugly tubes, so I installed 3/4" PVC and replaced all tubing. I turned the skimmer pump on and water shot out the venturi tube. In the past this was caused by the return being closed or there being gook in the venturi nozzle. I broke all of the equipment down again and cleaned it very well.

I have a 72 gallon reef-ready bow-front aquarium, a Rio 32HF powering the 3/4" tubing going to the skimmer. The return to the tank is a Rio as well, although not as beefy as the 32HF.

I am attaching a picture I took on Friday afternoon. Since then I have added coupling ball valves on all pvc runs....which is much nicer than the picture I am attaching.

My question is what is causing the water in the venturi? I have had this setup for five years in another tank. The only difference is the pvc piping so I am concerned with introducing problems. I know the pump is VERY strong coming out of the pvc feed to the skimmer. I have several wet towels that can attest to it. :) I am wondering if I should raise my skimmer above the sump.....anyhow....I am in dire need of peer review. :)

Attachments

• salt-water tank problems 005a.jpg
    salt-water tank problems 005a.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 549
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give us a pick of the venturi valve. By chance you don't have the valve installed backwards do ya? As I know some skimmers allow for this simple mistake. I don't know if it is even possible for your skimmer to have that simple of a problem. Other than that it would have to be a flow strength problem.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: