• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

cjmagm1

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:?: I have acetone and acrylic chips that have been mixing for about 24 hours looks pretty gooey so i added some more acetone. I am building a sump to attach to my old HOB WD but it will be under my 75. My joints are cut with my tablesaw so they fit together quite well. Do i use this mixture or do i use just acetone? And do i apply it to the edges then clamp together or clamp together and then apply to the corner? Thanks in advance..

taikonaut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure you want to use acetone?

Most people use WeldOn solvent cement (methyl-chloride is much better solvent than acetone) for working with acrylic. It is much easier, and not expensive.

Majority of the acrylic work involve fitting the pieces together, and applying the solvent and let the capillary action move the solvent thru out the area to be jointed.

cjmagm1

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the solvent mix that is made now more than looks acceptable, but i planed on using the cement mix i have for the two sides and check ridgity of it and if i am not satisfied then the sump will be 3/8 not as wide as planned. But when i did a search on the web i seen alot for acetone mixtures and the chloro stuff you mentioned was also mentioned as well but the weld on is hard to find without getting it off the web the glass stores around me dont sell the weld-on 35......

But thanks alot for the info especially on the forming cause i was unclear. I went and got an applicator today and im about ready to try.

cjmagm1

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got it completed atleast the first stage anyway. Still waiting to put water in it. I went ahead and used the acetone cement mix instead of just using acetone. After the first seam it went very easy, I have some pics but not sure if you can actually see cement clear enough to tell anything.

Attachments

• dsc00421.jpg
    dsc00421.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 755
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey Taikonaut...have you mentioned WeldOn :lol: ..ive used it, it works great...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: