• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

EDIT: Read this entire thread before building it, please.

Ok, so it actually cost $13, but that included some airline and an airstone. I figure lots of folks have this laying around already. I wouldn't use this skimmer on anything larger than 20 gallons, and even that's pushing it. It is incredibly cheap, however, and it works.

I labeled all the parts in the pics for easy reference.
1= 2" X 1" slip by slip reducer bushing. This is where water is drawn into the skimmer. Further mods described below.
2= 2" slip coupling, with a bunch a holes drilled in it. This is where the skimmed water will exit the skimmer
3= 2" pipe. This piece is 6" long, but can be any length that fits your setup.
4= 2" coupling.
5= 1" pipe. The length varies related to the length of #3. The top of the pipe should be even with the middle of part 4.
6= 2" X 1" slip reducer bushing.
7= 2" X 1" slip reducer bushing. 6 & 7 are glued together with PVC cement. It's necessary to sand down the sides in contact with each other before gluing. Further mods described below.
8= 2" coupling
9= 2" cap, with a couple holes drilled in the top.
There is also a very short section of 1" PVC pipe connected to part 7, inside the collection cup. This is the riser tube.

I hope the pics are all pretty self explanatory. The 1" pipe sits inside the 2" pipe. Parts #1 & 7 have to be modified. 1" pipe will have to be added on the "incorrect" side of the reducer bushings, so they have to be sanded down or drilled down with a dremel tool. The airstone sits inside part #1. I connected the airline to it outside the skimmer, and rubberbanded it to the main body. When emptying it, I just removed the collection cup (parts 6,7,8, and 9) and rinsed it all off in the sink.

Let me know if you have any ?s

Hope this helps, Matt.

The first 3 pics are the entire skimmer, the collection cup removed from the main body, and looking down into the main body with the collection cup removed.

Attachments

• dscn3648.jpg
    dscn3648.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 6,558
  • dscn3645.jpg
    dscn3645.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 6,562
  • dscn3646.jpg
    dscn3646.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 6,561
A

Anonymous

Here are the labeled parts, exploded view.

Attachments

• dscn3653.jpg
    dscn3653.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 6,532
  • dscn3652.jpg
    dscn3652.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 6,541
  • dscn3651.jpg
    dscn3651.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 6,551
A

Anonymous

Looking into the collection cup. This is looking at parts 7 & 8, with 9 removed. Not pictured is a small section (1.5" or so) of 1" PVC pipe. This gets inserted into part 7. Don't glue it! The other picture is the part on the bushing that needs to be removed in order to fit in the 1" pipe. This has to be done on parts 1 and 7. I used a steak knife and sandpaper, but anything will work.

Attachments

• dscn3655.jpg
    dscn3655.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 6,528
  • dscn3656.jpg
    dscn3656.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 6,532
A

Anonymous

Whoah. Ok I really wanna make a skimmer that will fit in my JBJ nanocube.

This one looks close, but seems a bit tall. Can you measure it for me? A JBJ nanocube is supposedly 18" on a side.

Also, why does part #5 in pic dscn3651.jpg look so long?

Thanks a bunch for posting this man!

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is that what you've been doing with your spare time over there :) ? ...jk. Nice work! Now what about a PVC Ca reactor?

Arlan

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hwarang,
It's about 14" tall if part 3 is 6" long. I forget the height of the cube but I think it's a foot (?), so you could just cut part 3 down 2", and do the same with part 5. The only issue I can see with this in a nano cube is the height of the water level in the 'sump'. It needs to be much lower for this thing to work, so a little overflow box would need to be built on the screen. This would allow you to lower the water level in the sump to the correct height while keeping the level in the main tank high.

Part 5 in the pic is before I cut it. I just wanted to show that it goes through all those parts. It's actually somewhere around 8" long for this skimmer.

I forget the front to back depth dimensions of the nanocube, but this guy is 2.75" thick.

A couple things I forgot to mention--
The water level in the tank/sump should be right around the halfway part of part 4, which is the same as the top of part 5. The bottom of the skimmer cannot sit flat on anything as water is getting sucked in from underneath. It just needs like a 1/4 inch beneath it for this. The way this skimmer is "tuned" is by regulating the amount of air coming from the airstone. This is kind of an important point, and I'm sorry I forgot to mention it. Therefore, you need to use an air pump with a needle valve for precise control of the airflow.

Arlan, I have way too much free time. I built this thing just to take pics of it. I have no use for it if you want it. I used to have an identical skimmer on a cute little 10 gallon with a pygmy angel but I threw it away.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, re the Ca reactor...

Good idea, but I'd be scared to get it tuned on an established nano tank. It would be really simple to make though, and I have an extra dosing pump unit laying around too.....*gears spinning* :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wait for them to upload...sometimes it takes a few if you have a dial up connection?

justjoe

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
frostiex":3iw11tcd said:
sorry, just want to know why can't I see the pics??

I too have asked this in the past only to realize I hadn't signed in, you can still read the mail but the pics won't come thru.
Joe

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That might take a minute... :D

I built this just as a demo, but I might be putting it on my 6 shortly.

Oh yeah, Lord..

A Ca Reactor is a really simple concept. Basically you dissolve CaCO3 in a chamber by adding CO2, which lowers the pH enough to put the Ca and CO3 in solution. You then very slowly drip this solution into your tank. For very large (over 100 gallons)tanks, it's a more stable and cheaper solution to providing calcium and alkalinity when compared to dosing Kalk or especially B-Ionic. There are lots of DIY plans for ones out there. Sanjay Joshi made a nice page with plans IIRC.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Muy importante....
earlier I listed a few parts as either 1" or 3/4". Well, they have to be 1", for a really simple reason--a wooden airstone won't fit in 3/4" pipe. Duh!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is after working for a day--a nice dark green foam with little liquid.

FWIW, I saw a very similar design recently made by Lee's for around $19-24. The only problem is the collection cup is much wider, and the height is set at 12" on the smallest one. My design allows for changing the height, and can fit in much smaller spaces.

Attachments

• dscn3677.jpg
    dscn3677.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 6,361
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude

you are absolutely frellin amazing

That is so cool

Bryan

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on Matt..!! i cant justify having a Ca reactor for my 20..specially since i really dont have SPS... yet..when my MH's get here in ANOTHER week(first order was screwed up) hence me asking you for frags.. :D ... ive seen the pix of your tank so i know id be getting good frags and you live decently close... Thanx for all the info...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: