• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

utahsaltreefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious to know how people polish the aluminum reflectors they make for themselves? I have a dremel tool with wire brush, but I think a 60" reflector would take me most of my natural life to polish with it. I was thinking a wet/dry sandpaper with 400 grit may work. Thoughts? Do you add any type of coat or dip after polishing to keep it non-reactive?

Danno

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of aluminum I bought polished stainless steel. Buy it thin enough you can work with it. My friend had a break they use in siding houses, couple of bends and I was set. I have been running it for 3 years now. Once a year I pull the lid off and wipe down with glass cleaner. Looks like new yet. 8)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
>... Do you add any type of coat or dip after polishing to keep it non-reactive?...

First of all, I have not see any report about rather a polished aluminum reflector reflects more light than non-polished one....

Regarding coating or dip... aluminium is so reactive that you have to polish/sand in inert environment (no oxygen, etc.) if want to coat/or dip it without the oxidized film formed first. The oxidated film is what protects the aluminum below, but some people may chose to anodize the aluminum with chemical to give it different color (aluminum black, for example.)

Danno give you a pretty good alternative, and "polished" alumninum is also available if you want a more spectcular reflection.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: