• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

CareyMarie

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I have finally talked my husband into making me a custom reef tank! It will be 10 feet long, 2 feet wide and 2 feet deep. I am wondering about the glass. What type can I use? How about thickness? Anybody have suggestions on construction?

Hmm, I wonder if this one will be the last best tank... I just keep wanting/needing bigger and bigger...

Thanks!
Carey

FranklinP

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, your tank will be 300 gallons. I have a 24x24x8ft tank that is made of 1/2" acrylic. The top has two opening on each end 16x 3ft each. the center has a brace. The back was blacked out with some blue stick on stuff. I bought the setup at a good price. I am very new to reef tanks and I have learned alot through this site and by purchasing books off the book list. Good luck in your construction. Sounds really neat. You will need a office chair on wheels so you can slide along the front without getting up. :D

Fl_Seagull

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is going to be some tank!!

GratefulDriver recommends Starphire glass.
http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=43522

Another link is: http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=409146&highlight=#409146

Starphire is clearer than standard glass.

Thickness is harder to give advise on since how you brace the tank has a lot to do with how thick the glass has to be. Plan on at least 1/2" glass. But, 5/8 to 3/4 may be needed to keep the long sides from bowing.

Few online calculators are design for tanks as large as you are planning. With the final tank weight of ~1000 lbs of glass, a custom tank builder may be a better option for thichness advise.

Acrylics

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick add on, Starphire is not made in thicker than 1/2" (12mm) so to get thicker (recommended) it must be laminated which can get expensive. There are other varieties which are similar in clarity to Starphire such as Optiwhite and others which do come in heavier gauges. Check a local glass shop for samples and pricing, actually check many local glass shops as prices vary all over the place.

You *may* wish to have this size tank made for you though. Mfrs will get better pricing than retail customers and can often sell you a finished product cheaper than you can buy the materials for - or at least comparable. Couple this with the liability involved (would get ugly if this thing snapped), IMHO it would be a good idea to check into this as well.

James

CareyMarie

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Acrylics!

I have found a glass man who said he will sell me laminated glass, for $425. Do you think that is a fair price? He also said it can't break. I know that things would get really really ugly if it broke!!! Scares me to death!!

My LFS's can't get tanks bigger than 180 gallon, at least that is what they are telling me. I live in Montana so shipping is always a cost issue as well.

Another problem we are facing is that if I get a tank of the demensions my dream tank is, we would not be able to get it down the stairs. So, that means it will have to be made where it will sit!! If the tank leaks, my basement will be flooded. I wonder if it would be to heavy on the floor upstairs?

Thanks!

Carey

Acrylics

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CareyMarie":3luxyh3r said:
I have found a glass man who said he will sell me laminated glass, for $425. He also said it can't break. I know that things would get really really ugly if it broke!!! Scares me to death!! Do you think that is a fair price?
It's a fair price depending on thickness and what it is, but to honest - everything can break :) What you really have to worry about is the seams. While your tank is only 24" tall, 10' is still quite a span, and one can run into troubles if inexperienced.

My LFS's can't get tanks bigger than 180 gallon, at least that is what they are telling me. I live in Montana so shipping is always a cost issue as well.
odd, hmmm

Another problem we are facing is that if I get a tank of the demensions my dream tank is, we would not be able to get it down the stairs. So, that means it will have to be made where it will sit!! If the tank leaks, my basement will be flooded. I wonder if it would be to heavy on the floor upstairs?
Dunno, you might want to have a structural engineer come out and check out the joists. I understand it can be a real hassle but the flip side is that you could have *real* problems on your hands if your floors can't handle the load.

HTH,
James

Fl_Seagull

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylics":32pr24m8 said:
...you might want to have a structural engineer come out and check out the joists. I understand it can be a real hassle but the flip side is that you could have *real* problems on your hands if your floors can't handle the load.

Good advise!

For this size of tank I would spend the money for the structural engineer. Few floors are designed to support this type of weight.

From an old post:
ChrisRD":32pr24m8 said:
FWIW, most modern homes in America are designed for a 40 PSF first floor live load (live load = furniture, people, appliances, fish tanks, etc.).

Unfortunately, thinking of the floor loading exerted by the tank in terms of pounds per square foot (PSF) isn't very helpful in determining whether or not you're OK. There's no easy answer. A real answer requires a lot more information and a much more complicated analysis...

For those who are interested, check out an excellent explanation here

The link ChrisRD provided has some good links showing how to reinforce the floor.

I am looking forward to pictures.

Aquadude

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you need a tank that big anyway? Are you able to stock a tank that size? Have you considered the cost of mintaining it? Lighting, water changes, additives, electricity costs, etc? Not to mention having to brace your floor a tank that size would weigh of 3500 lbs. Why not settle for something smaller that is easier to manage? Not to burst your bubble but having a tank custom built into your house is a serious investment. If you are still wanting such a tank then consider one made of braced plywood with a glass front on a concrete floor.

CareyMarie

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquadude,

Honestly I do need one that big. I have three 55 gallons, one 75 gallon, two 30 gallon reefs, plus my hospital tank and refugum. My kids have two fresh water tanks, too. I want to put all of my stuff in one big tank and sell the others. Well, I may keep just one and the kids can keep theirs.

I think plywood might work, we're looking into that route more closely. You are right about the concrete floor. So, the reef will go in the family room downstairs.

I am betting cost of one large tank will be comparable to what I spend operating my systems now. I must confess, I am addicted to my reefs! My coworkers always tell me I am nuts, but I answer, "I spend my beer money on fish!"

Lighting will naturally be a big cost factor. Maybe I will keep my lights and have my husband put them into a new canopy and turn my smaller tanks into sump systems instead of selling them..... still thinking that part though.

My bubble is not burst. :) I thank everyone for the input, the more input the better IMHO.

Carey

Aquadude

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:eek: Wow. That's alot of tanks. I wasn't aware you were a reef fanatic. It must take a lot of time end effort on maintenance. In your case you would be better off with a 300 gallon tank. One large tank would be easier to maintain. Plus you can transfer the livestock, rocks, gravel, pumps and whatever else into your new tank and sell whatever you don't need.
I wish I had the time, space and money for something that grand.
Good luck with the design and please post some pictures as it's built.
:)

CareyMarie

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquadude,

To me it is relaxing messing with my tanks. I think of it as therapy, I am a nurse in a teaching facility. The kids and I spend a lot of time trying to figure out what we have in each tank, you know hitch hikers. I think I may go ahead and buy a bigger tank instead of building one, the more I think about it, the more scared I get.

I talked to the owner of my LFS, not the sales kid like I did last time, and he can get a 210 gallon for $530. Another option is that we are vacationing in LA this summer and I bet I can find a big used system there that is fairly cheap, (my husband thinks this is the best bet) and use a tow trailer to get it home. Three of my tanks were used and converted to meet my needs.

What Is your opinion? I am getting cold feet about changing anything...

Carey

Trixter

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CareyMarie

Carie are you still considering the construction of this tank. James is very knowledgeable. My situation is almost identical to yours. Im building the tank on site. The dimensions are 120 X 24 X 36. Im building it from acrylic on site because it will not fit down my staircase assembled. Let me know if you are still going forward with this maybe I can provide some insight to what I have learned.

Sean

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you never have to move.

I'm in the same boat with my 300G. I am anchored to this house.

Good luck and post plenty of pictures as your reef progresses.

Louey

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: